Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Biofuels

Giles Wardle

Who knows about biofuels ?

What are the economics of biofuels. Nett of tax is sunflower oil/methanol mix more expensive to produce than diesel.

What other oils can be used in diesel cars ? Linseed oil, oil seed rape oil ?

I heard that the first diesel engine ran on peanut oil, myth ot truth ?

Could we economically produce spirit from sugar beet ?

I was emailed this a couple of days ago. Not sure if is true!

A special police unit nicknamed the "frying squad" has been formed in a market town where hundreds of drivers are believed to be running their diesel cars on cooking oil.

Sniffing out unusually fragrant exhaust fumes, highway patrols have already collared several dozen offenders, who save more than 40p a litre by diverting oil from the kitchen cupboard to under the bonnet.

The Asda supermarket in Llanelli, south Wales, has slapped a ration on cooking oil sales, after astonished internal auditors found that it was selling far more than any other outlet in the country. Customs investigators are also involved in the "sniff patrols", which home in on any car smelling like a mobile fish and chip shop.

"It's a serious offence," said Bill O'Leary, spokesman for customs and excise, which levies tax on motor oil but not on the version used in saucepans. "By law, all cars on public roads must pay a tax on the fuel they use. Evasion carries a maximum seven-year jail term."

According to one victim of the crackdown, who did not want to be named, substituting 32p-a-litre cooking oil, with a dash of methanol, worked as sweetly in his diesel Subaru as the real, 73p-a-litre thing.

But the tell-tale odour proved his undoing when an unmarked police car flagged him down. "The officer went to the fuel tank, dipped it, and found cooking oil. I put my hands up to the offence but the car was towed away," he said. His oil savings vanished in a £500 fine for using illegal, untaxed fuel and £150 required as a towing fee.

Dyfed Powys police said they were working with customs on a stop-and-check basis because of the problem in Llanelli. While Asda limited cooking oil sales per customer, an AA spokeswoman said fry-driving "could severely damage your vehicle. You should always follow the manufacturer's instructions about which fuel to use".

biodiesel is becoming very popular on the continent. Currently it only contains 5% fuel derived from biomass. It is coming over here nowish too. Many of the car manufacturers are very nervous of using fuel with more than 5% bio as it can cause issues with various engine seals. Lots of arguement is taking place between the legislators and the people who use and specify fuel quality.

I also hear that the economics do not necessarily stack up and that many of the oil companies are looking for more cost effective ways to introduce biomass into the fuel stream. They can use it to introduce into the processes to make fuel rather than just blend it in with existing fuel.

My user name might give you some clue as to who I work for.