Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

exhaust change: adaptive mapping?

tonino

Quoting charlie_pank: 
This is why you need to use a wideband lambda probe rather than your nomal narrowband one.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LC-1_Manual.pdf section 6.5.1 states that 'the LC-1 is fast enough to distinguish individual pockets of exhaust gas. For many applications this will be too fast'

I am sure that the LC-1 is a fine product, it seems that many on these forums use them and are pleased with them. However I don't think that the above sentence voids my argument. While the LC-1 may be too fast for some applications, it may still be too slow for others *biggrin*

Quoting charlie_pank: 
The ECU is fast enough to control the fueling of the engine in all conditions. If the wideband lambda probe can detect 'individual pockets of exhaust gas', then which part of the system won't work?

I am pretty sure that I wrote that I think it could work? Based on the argument that several ECU's provide this feature, I am sure that it must have its merits.

Quoting charlie_pank: 
NB. Yes there are cells on the map that won't be touched by self-mapping in the absence of a rolling road. This doesn't matter at all, as the very fact that you've got no data on those points means you don't need them. You also don't need to worry that you might one day enter them because you just leave the 'self-map' activated so it'll fill in the gap if it ever enters that cell.

Saying that "This doesn't matter at all" is a bold statement. I would like to have a bit more control over my fuel map than that *smile* You might not be able to run up (or down) a mountain while doing your tuning, but it would be nice that the engine didn't blow up first time you encountered one.

ps. This is mostly just to yank your chain Charlie 😬, I am sure that you have more experience in this than me since I am purely argumenting from a theoretical standpoint.