Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K dry sump catch tank location

pebblebuoys

I currently have a dry sumped 1.6K with the factory dry sump system - with tank in the bellhousing and swirl tank

I want to fit a heater, but that's currently where the oil catch tank is. The catch tank is a shoody looking plastic one - see this photo

I need to move the tank to install the heater, so where have people located it and what better quality tanks have people used?

thanks

jon

I have just bought one from think auto .. if you google mocal oil catch tank and select images you'll get the idea. It would sit in front of the heater, but the drain plug is at the bottom, so I will probably put it where the ecu is, with a right angle connector underneath to drain it.

I have the Mocal catch tank and it does wet the top of the tank with oil mist. This then coagulates and runs down onto the bulhead. As you know, a little oil goes a long way so my bulkhead forever needed cleaning.

I had a simple alloy tray made up the same profile as the top of the tank and about 1/2" deep, with a hole in the center the same size as the thread of the tank cap. I Remove the cap, place the tray in position and refit the cap trapping the tray. Now any oil mist stays in the tray and is easy to clean. The mk 2 version would be slightly dished and welded to the tank so that removal of the lid would allow oil to drain back into the tank.

It's very simple and effective

And if Mocal start offering it I want royalties !

I have a photo if anyone wants to host it ...

Thinking about it, you may be able to modify the lid of a spray paint can or similar

Edited by - ECR on 15 Dec 2011 16:51:01

Edited by - ECR on 15 Dec 2011 16:52:42

Edited by - ECR on 15 Dec 2011 17:29:59

Edited by - ECR on 15 Dec 2011 17:35:12

Quoting Slipper man: 
Don't mount the catch tank at the front of the car. Caterham did that with the early R500's and there were instances of oil from the catch tank getting on the drive belts with disastrous consequences.
Is the catchtank on a dry-sump car equivalent (size, purpose, rate of filling) to one on a wet-sump car? I ask as my R400D is wet-sump and the catch tank is where CC put it -- near the nose, next to the coolant header tank and right in front of the drivebelt tensioner.

JV

Hi all, sorry to jump in on the theme of the thread, i too have been running a pipe under and out the back of the car, with lots of oily vapour present on the back panel. Is there any reason why i couldnt go from the catch tank into the back of the airbox plate? Mine's the caterham dry sump system as well.

cheers

Jon