Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

race numbers

Stef

Do caterham actually sell the white number backgorunds with 'caterham motorsport' on them, or do you only get them if you compete in the academy?

Also, what are the rules around numbers for sprinting, do you just need one on each side?

thanks

You can get them by calling Caterham Midlands, usually you only need to make a payment for their postage, so ask for four, one eash side, one for the nose and one spare in case you mess up putting one of the others on! I don't race in a Caterham series but was still sent the backgrounds. *smile*

I think you're right about the white backgrounds, but Caterham Cars are only a telephone call away.....

I think the MSA rules for sprinting, from memory, say you should have 9" numbers. But generally you only need one set on each side, although I believe there is one venue that requires one on the front as well. Black for light coloured cars and white for dark ones.

I usually buy a pack of numbers from ebay or the like or just get your local graphics company to make a set up. Make sure you buy ones that are 'low tack' as there are easier to peel off and there is less risk of pulling the paint off too.

I wouldn't worry too much as you'll see a 'variety' of numbers ranging from black tape, mixed styles, bastardised numbers i.e. an 8 cut to make a 5 etc. the rules seem to be pretty relaxed wherever I've been. So long as the time-keeper can easily identify your car you'll be fine.

• Area Representative

Stef,

You asked:-

Also, what are the rules around numbers for sprinting, do you just need one on each side?

The rules are quite clear *smile*

All of the relevant rules can be found in the MSA "Blue book", or to give it its correct title "2012 Competitors' and officials' yearbook" (which you will be issued with when you purchase your competition licence)

Section "S" is the section that covers "sprints, hillclimbs, and drag racing" and states:-

Numbers

9.2.5. Cars will be identified by means of a competition

number, allocated by the organisers, which must be

visible from each side of the vehicle and displayed

on a contrasting background in a proper and

durable way, acceptable to the Chief Timekeeper of

the day.

9.2.6. Competition numbers must be covered at all

times whilst driving on the public highway.

Additionally, some venues (namely Loton Park and Shelsley Walsh) also require numbers to be displayed on the nose of the car. Any such requirments will be listed in the suplementary regulations (often simply refered to at "regs").

I've been competing for ten years now and have never used a background, and use 9" black numbers on my red car.

I hope that helps 🤔 *smile*

acceptable to the Chief Timekeeper of

the day.

I keep on having flashbacks to an event earlier this year, where the commentator kept on going on-and-on-and-on about that cars should have a white square with black numbers on, or they may be disqualified. 🙆🏻 It did spoil the day rather a bit....in fact it spoilt it a lot 😔 😔 😔.

I agree with above, that most venues accept reasonably visible numbers. ie. Black numbers on a light blue car....however to be safe and avoid (petty) issues, it's best to put a white square with 9" black numbers on your car (both readily available from the likes of Demon Tweeks etc)

HTH