Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Pace and CC K dry sump. Parts query

naddy

Could you cast an eye over this please...

I'm fitting a Pace DS kit to a K series. I have the Pace kit.

The Pace kit comes without a tank and I have decided to use a CC belltank. I have a bare CC belltank, nothing else.

I'm not asking about the merit or otherwise of this setup, merely what extra parts I need...

With reference to this list here I have studied it and I believe I will need the following parts to make the belltank portion of the setup 'complete'

75722 HI-LINE SCAVENGE FILTER 1 N

75698 BOTTOM PLATE ROVER 1 N

75721U SWIRL TOWER/TOP PLATE ASS 1 N

30P224A CLUTCH PEDAL STOP

AN/1842 CLUTCH ACTUATING FORK 1 N

P1290A EXPANSION BOTTLE CAP-NO HOLE 1 N

WSB125 CATCH TANK-OIL 2 LITRE 1 N

That still leaves hoses, their fittings and breather pipes but thats not the issue in this post. And yes, I know the Pace kit is twin output and the swirl tower is single input.

Does the above list look right or do I need anything else from CC to complete the belltank assy.?

Not sure about the list descriptions/part numbers, but:

Caphead screws swirl tower to bell tank

Caphead screws bottom plate to bell tank

O ring seal bottom plate to bell tank

Oil temp sender or blanking screw

Scavenge return pipe male adapter to tank

Oil feed pipe male adapter to tank plus internal gauze filter

Longer bell tank to gearbox bolts

Swirl tower screw cap plus dipstick (or later fixed top)

• Leadership Team

7WotW, Pace appear to know nothing of a bespoke manifold (even though repeatedly suggested so on BC) but it is possible to mate the twin scavenge Pace pump to the belltank using one inlet on the tower, and the other inlet on the tank (normally blanked off when the tower is fitted). Only partial de-aeration of the oil flow though.

Stu.

If your Pace system is one of the new batch made for the K series check the belt alignment from the crank to the

pump, On both the kits we bought they were well out and the new design of pump bracket would not offer

enough adjustment, In the end we had to machine both pulleys to get the belt to run true, At £1200 a kits

its totally unacceptable. There again we ordered 3 dry sump tanks from Brise and they all leaked.

personally speaking the attitude of both these company's stink !!!

Has anyone had problems with the exposed belt drive on this system? I mean to do with collecting stones between belt and pulley teeth.....

I am about to fit a similar Pace DS system and I was thinking it'd be intelligent to put a Hall pickup on the pump so it reads the spinning pump pulley. It could be rigged so that if the pully stops while the engine is running, it cuts the ignition.

This would save the engine blowing up.

Personally I don't think relying on an oil pressure idiot light is good enough.

Fitting a sensor to the D/S pump pulley is a good idea, We have fitted the lower chassis Ali plate that runs from the Rad back to the Engine block this helps to keep out stones and seals the bottom of the Engine bay well most of it, I dont think there have been to many problem's with stone's getting trapped in the belt or the belts failing

if they run true.

A while ago a friend of mine cut some alloy billet with a water jet, to make a belt shield.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2527/4118121024_b36e7aeb18_o.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2642/4118121018_2da1cb7412_o.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2616/4118121014_75a6c596c0_o.jpg

Unfortunately he can't repeat it as we can't find the digital pattern and anyway it's not really economical to replicate like this.

It'd probably be possible to make one out of plastic or even GRP or CF, but is there the demand?

Mine will have a proper alloy front cover.

Edited by - Unclefester on 14 Dec 2011 16:52:01

Edited by - Unclefester on 14 Dec 2011 16:53:17

Malcolm. Thanks, I think I can identify what I need now. It was mainly the bolts and screws that I'd overlooked... *thumbup*

7wotw. Stu is referring to lengthy discussions that I had with Pace when he says that Pace know nothing of the manifold. The current 'go to' man at Pace for K series DS kits was unaware that CC produce a Bellhousing tank. He was stunned when I told him about it and evidenced it with photographs. It was impossible to get any useful technical help on using the Pace kit with a belltank. He (apparently) quizzed the staff there and nobody knew of a manifold and he looked at their archive and found no drawings or plans relating to one either. furthermore I was told that they would not be prepared to make one either as it was impossible... I've no doubt that these manifolds existed, but nowadays... Forget it. They don't want to know.

Unclefester. That is an extremely nice belt shield 🥰

I asked Pace about a belt protector case ages ago. I have a very vague recollection of some conversation about MGF Cup race engines that ran a Pace with a belt cover, but basically they said "we don't make one..." which seems to fit with the experience above. *eek*

It does seem a serious omission.

I've gone through Malcolm's list now that I'm sober 😳

I am little stuck on a couple of things:

Is "Oil feed pipe male adapter to tank plus internal gauze filter"

The same as Filter Union - 5/8 x 5/8"BSP - Rover Dry Sump ? Does it go inside the tank?

What is "Scavenge return pipe male adapter to tank"?

And from my list could somebody explain

Hi Line Scavenge Filter Assembly

and

Alloy Spacer Hi Line Pipe

I thought I understood these but now I'm confused about the "filter" and the "gauze"

Thats the one...Oops! the gauze filter is integral with the male adapter for the oil feed *redface*.

Scavenge return pipe male adapter to tank. The scavenge pipe has a male union to the bell tank tower.

Hi Line Scavenge Filter Assembly. This is the scavenge pick up in the bottom of the (Rover) sump. Consists of the anodised housing, gauze filter, retaing circlip and O ring.

Alloy Spacer Hi Line Pipe. I think this is a small spacer for fixing the scavenge pipe to the outside of the (Rover) sump, two needed.

Send me an email and I'll return some photos, I have my DS system on the bench at the moment as I'm doing an engine swap.

Edited by - Englishmaninwales on 15 Dec 2011 23:50:07

Thanks,

I'm using a pace sump and pump...

Hoses will need to be bespoke (from think auto I expect)...

1) So I will still need the 'gauze filter' thingy??

2) But the

Scavenge return pipe male adapter to tank. The scavenge pipe has a male union to the bell tank tower.
I won't need as I can order a pipe with the appropriate fitting??

3) If the Hi Line scavenge filter and the alloy spacers are the sump end - I will not need these at all with my setup??

YHBM with my email, I think it's getting clearer now but pics of the belltank portion of things would be good, Thanks *thumbup* *smile*

Pace don't always use guaze filters in the scavenge pick ups, mine didn't have any.

Re hose's the most cost effective route is using the push fit red / blue alloy unions from 'Think' and the appropriate black push fit hose, where possible use straight unions as these are about 1/3 of the price of angled unions 😳. dont forget the club disconyt here too.

Quoting MacP: 
I'd be interested in a belt cover.

I'm also interested in the Hall sensor on the pulley idea - how hard would it be to engineer?

Apparently not very.

I talked to Colin Mills on here about this a few years ago, and he had a solution then, but as I'm a total dunce at electronic wizardry, I don't recall the details.

Basically, the Hall sensor has to be giving a signal to the ECU to allow it to fire the injectors or ignition, and if this signal stops, the ECU shuts the system down immediately.