Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery trickle chargers

StuB

My original Banner lasted lasted the 8 years I had it in the car by winter removal and putting on charge once a month on the garage worktop. This was only possible as I didnt use the car over winter! I only replaced it during fault diagnosis, and it didnt turn out to be the batteries problem, so I woudlnt get too hung up on it if its a standard battery.

If you charge a LA battery every month in winter it will not have chance to significantly discharge provided it has no load (immobiliser etc). A conventional charger will be fine. Where a conditioner scores is that you don't need to remember to put it on and there is no risk of overcharging and losing electrolyte by evaporation. The gain therefore is in convenience.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've recently fitted a Powervamp battery and would like to use a conditioner.

Questions:

Do the Optimate / Accumate / Ctek work on the Powervamp type of battery?

If I fit a cigarette lighter, what size in line fuse should I use?

How do I wire up the cigarette lighter?

How do I find the time to do it? *confused*

Terry

Not only is it the higher amperage you need, but you need to use the charger in the winter setting all year round. This puts a higher voltage into the battery, which is what a powervamp type battery needs.

Edited by - CageyH on 28 Dec 2011 09:20:13