Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track day oil levels (safe!!)

boughtoneatlast

Hi all

Well having had my car for a few months now, I am getting a big itch (have the cream - before anyone says it!!!).. to start doing some track days, having done several pre organised ones in the past I am now wanting to try my car out HOWEVER......

.... the guy I got my car from did use the car on the track and said to me when I bought it that for track days, you should top up oil 2 cm over the top of the yellow marker on the dipstick...(I have 1.6kss).... now this seems a little excessive to me and dangerous if overfilled for all the hydraulic reasons..... so anyone with experience knowledge of what is best........

.... no I don't have dry sump before anyone asks.....

Thanks

Gary Wheal - 170bhp K Series

I'd be inclined to check the oil more often (say, between sessions) rather than overfill it. I just fill it as close to the maximum level as I can. I also take a small 1 litre bottle of oil to trackdays with me, so that if I do need to top it up, it's easy to do so.

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Overfilling causes excess windage and problems with oil temperature. I would be wary of overfilling to that degree. Also by the time it is 2cm above the mark the oil level is probably in the dipstick tube, so you aren't getting a proper reading.

If his motivation was to prevent oil surge, then this shows that the Caterham sump is 2 cm too shallow. The traditional solution for this is to fit an Apollo tank and let the surge happen without resulting in an engine blow up. The advantage of an Apollo tank being that you also get an oil temperature readout. When it gets too high slow down and you will be fine.

Peter/Anyone

So is the Appollo tank a cheap alternative to dry sumping???.... my novice guess is that for track days, I probably don't need to go the whole hog of a dry sump.... who fits (me??) and how much are the appollo tanks.....

.... and thanks for the answers so far, they bear out my initial feelings on this subject!!

Gary - just fitted an apollo tank for this very reason - starting to do more track days and using stickier tyres. About £200 for piece of mind. We also have a 1.6k ss. As I understand it is a cheaper alternative to dry sumping - not as totally effective maybe, but a lot cheaper and more accessible at our level.

Peter - although we have not yet connected the temp sender, what temperature is the oil when it is 'too high'?

cheers

😬26,000 miles in 13 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Yes - we bought the apollo kit from caterham - I guess there are alternatives, but it is just easier getting all the pipes the right length etc etc. and (hopefully) the right number of bits!

Exhaust was a great upgrade. I think before any other 'power' type upgrades, the exhaust and apollo tank should be first.

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Indeed - the problem seems to be around the sandwich plate. Touch wood, we have had no leaks on ours yet, fitted last week and already done about 600 miles incl. track day.

The trick seems to be tightening the joints up on the s.plate outside the car, where you can get a decent hold of them.

Its tricky to explain, but it seems the pipe that comes out of the plate and is nearest the block needs to be parallel with the block - ie: pointing straight forward. Tighten this, then angle the pipe next to it - the one furthest away from the block, in towards the first one, so the two rubber pipes can be tie-wrapped together as they pass through the alternator belt. Peter did this, and when we put the pipes and sandwich block into position, they did not need any adjustment and have not did not leaked. we also used some strong Loktite (sp?) on all the unions.

From doing the job, I cannot see how it is possible to tighten anything up properly whilst it is all on the car.

I asked about this job a last week sometime, and got lots of helpful replies (the Caterham kit does not come with any instructions) so search back a week or so and you will find some useful stuff. I was also emailed better pictures and instructions.

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Sounds like I had better go invest again!!! *wink* Appllo to be fitted!!

The exhaust will probably finish off what is already a good package. I have tb's, ported big valve head, luminition mappable ign etc..... 6spd , track days here I come......

Thanks for your replys

Gary 😬