Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How much...

jackb_ms

OK as a rule of thumb, in a normal IL4 only one cylinder sucks at a time, so the hose diameter has to be as big or bigger than one inlet trumpet.

More detail for fun...

Every 1/2 revolution one of the cylinders is filling

Volume of 1 cylinder is 1.8L/4 = .450L

.450L = 450cc = .00045m^3

This means that every revolution you need to be able to suck 0.0009m^3 of air & fuel.

At an optimal AFR of 14.7:1, you'll need 14.7/15.7*0.0009m^3 of air = 0.0008426m^3/revolution

At 3500rpm (probably around about where your peak torque is), you'll be running at 3500/60 rps = 58.3333 rps

At this engine speed you'll need 58.333 * 0.0008426m^3 / s of air

= .04915 m^3/s

Diameter of hose = .050m

Cross-sectional area = .05m^2*Pi = .00785m^2

Length of column of air required / second at that diameter = .04915m^3/.00785m^2 = 6.211m

Therefore you'd require the air to be moving at 6.211m/s to feed your engine at that diameter. I can't tell you about friction because I don't know how long the hose is, or what the coefficient of friction is between the hose lining and air.

Edited to correct misplaced decimal!

Edited by - charlie_pank on 8 Dec 2011 16:41:11

Rich, I need something at night to wind me down and stop thinking about gates *confused* 😬 I'm working on my cold air induction thingy!

Thank you Charlie

Not sure if I understand everything...

So the air inside would need to travel at close to 139mph.

Next question, if the air travel at 139mph in a 50mm ID tube, what speed does the car needs to be doing *confused*

Jack

Edited by - jackb_ms on 8 Dec 2011 16:19:22

Just to add a couple of small complications. The suction from the piston is subject to lag and so effectively you will be lucky you get more than 80% of the swept volume in any cylinder. (hence the advantages of super/turbo charging). Given that the air movement is subject to lag, it means that the air will be accelerating into the cylinder rather than flowing at a constant rate. Oh yes, and when the inlet valve shuts, the inflowing air rebounds and sets up a reverse shockwave

..and don't ram the air in, use a still air box.

Why?

I was thinking of using an in line air filter something like that with this air box

What I want to achieve is to recreate the air intake system from the 21 GTO here on a budget

Jack

PS: does someone has an unused Auto-teknix i could borrow to check it it fits in a 21?

Right, so the question here is not dissimilar to the question I posed here regarding using the intakes in the doors of my P4 replica to feed an F355 engine.

The F355 engine is 3496cc (so roughly 2 x 1.8k) and gives about 1.8x the power in standard form of an SLR 1.8k.

The tube (37 in this drawing http://www.eurospares.co.uk/userImages/003/Large/003_012.gif ) through which both banks of cylinders draw air through the AFM has an internal diameter of 82mm.

82mm dia is a CSA of 52cm²

So half that is 26cm²

A 50mm ID tube (going back to the OP) has a CSA of 19.63cm2, so you should be OK.