Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which socket wrench drive size? 1/4" 3/8" 1/2"

anthonym

I've noticed that when trying to work on my 7, I tend towards the 3/8" drive because the 1/4" feels too weak and the 1/2" is too big and too heavy for my feeble wrists.

And skydragon's thread here about primary nuts everyone seems to be talking about 3/8" drives.

I also find the 3/8" is a good touring compromise regarding space versus work ability.

So, I am hoping for responses indicating what size drive you tend towards using given a choice.

though any chat about drive sizes I will read with interest, specially if crimbo works out :-)

Edited by - anthonym on 6 Dec 2011 18:50:52

Edited by - anthonym on 6 Dec 2011 18:51:45

1/4 for everything up to 13mm, unless it's tight. Underbonnet and electricals, 1/4 is enough and is easier to use. 3/8 for general mechanicing and I have a few 1/2 drive sockets in bigger sizes for stuff like suspension bolts. HGV mechanics will regularly reach for 3/4 drive stuff, so you select as required.

I have snapped a M6/10mm bolt with a 1/4 drive ratchet, and I'm not exactly the biggest guy out there, so it comes down to what you feel best using.

It is if some numpty has done them up with a windy-gun!

I've had a few occasions when I ended up swinging on a breaker bar. On one memorable occasion the tintop had gone all winter with the wheels on, and I had to prop the spider on an axle stand and brutalise it with a big hammer to get the nuts moving. Coppergrease on replacement, I think. 😳

I undo them with a windy gun. Simple way is to make sure the garage uses a torque wrench when fitting the wheels.

I tighten the bolts up with a windy on a low torque setting, and final tighten with the torque wrench.

Ideally, you should over torque them slightly, back them off and torque to the correct figure.

Most of that is perfectly manageable with 3/8 sockets.

that leads nicely into my next question, I use these (or at least I will) just bought in an old Facom stock sale fro 40 francs, what does everyone else use? Have to admit I am using them as executive toys.. silly I suppose, but I do love nicely engineered stuff, old valves, cam followers etc. *smile*

thing I like about these is the knurled outer ring to facilitate more finger turning grip as compared to the slippery metal surface of a socket, also their lack of space, easy to store on tour.

Edited by - anthonym on 8 Dec 2011 09:06:33