Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cambelt Changing

Chris Coxall

Your advice please

I'm just about to change the cambelt on my 1.6 K series.

The engine will still be in place in the car.

What is the best way of locking the engine to enable undoing/doing back up of the bottom pulley bolt.

The cams will obviously have the locking tool but how do you lock the fly wheel.

Thanking you in advance. *wavey*

This has worked on over 100 Caterhams without fail.

Above and below the starter there are gaps which allow access to the flywheel / ringgear. A stout screwdriver wedged into the ring gear will lock the flywheel, do not be tempted to try locking by putting the vehicle in gear and standing on the brakes, there is too much wind up in the transmission.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 5 Dec 2011 21:50:12

The bottom pulley bolt is a *mad*ing tight, I think you'd struggle if the engine's out.

It *mad* is..Tried locking the flywheel with a screwdriver..still could not remove it..

So put a socket and wrench on the pulley bolt,placed a piece of wood on the chassis,placed the wrench on the wood ,disconnected the spark leads and turned the engine over.. TAKE CARE IF YOU DO IT THIS WAY AND MAKE SURE THE WOOD IS IN THE CORRECT POSITION...It was the only way I could do it.

Everything else was easy

Steve

I used the DVA method of jamming a big screwdriver/chisel/pry bar in the flywheel area to hold everything still. With the engine out of the car and no flywheel locking tool to hand, I put a couple of bolts that hold clutch cover on, wedged a bar between the two and the floor and a breaker bar to undo the crank pulley bolt.

I did mine by sticking it in gear, sticking the g/f in the drivers seat with instructions to press the brake pedal and simply undid it with a long breaker bar. Done up the same way too, other than subsituting a rather large torque wrench for the breaker bar.

Obviously the engine was in the car, and the car was on the ground 😬

Bri