Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Advice on sequential gearboxes

R. Hull

I am currently looking into fitting a sequential box to a 2002 superlight R.(With 230 bhp).quaife seems to be the most obvious choice but i would like to hear if anyone has any other thoughts on alternative options.If anyone has a quaife box fitted i would welcome any feedback.thanks.

Box is meant to be coming in at 20kg or less. So a good 10-15kg lighter than the Caterham or Quaife boxes.

No idea on driveability and at present it's only been slotted into Dave's live axle car. Testing in a deDion will be needed (I think) and I believe a few other bits and bobs.

Dave did a post on one of the forums asking who'd be interested as he might be able to get a discount on the first few. A search for "edmandsd" and "sequential" should pull it out.

Assuming I don't lose interest with chucking my retirement fund at 7s I might get one myself. At about the same price as the Quaife unit it looks like a better buy...

I drove my car at different speeds at Lydden and it's a delight to use up or down the box. I've driven a car with a Quaife box and didn't find it anywhere near as user friendly.

New inline 5 speed sequential road/race gear box

Based on racing transaxle with drop gear design

Advanced sequential mechanism

Proven gearset using S156 gears

260ft lb torque rating

Machined billet aluminium maincase

Light weight - circa 20kgs (over 30% lighter than alloy cased 5 speed Quaife sequential)

Choice of 3 gearsets - 1:1 5th, overdriven 5th and underdriven 5th.

Overall choice of 35 gears

Small selection of drop gears will become available at a later date

Other options including 4 speed version and oil cooler

Requires longer slider prop and linkage

As fitted to Caterham BDR700

£3,250 + Vat

Lotus 7 club members introductory offer - £2,995 + Vat with choice of gears

Contact HT Racing on 01474 872888 or Dave Edmands on 07767 457359 for more information

Home of BDR700

Edited by - edmandsd on 10 Oct 2002 11:23:24

As PC says, even in the bikes, honda boxes are almost always poor, clunky and not always positive between 1-2 or 5-6 'Blades I've ridden are particularly bad.

Conversly, IMHO, Suzuki have never made a less than perfect bike 'box... you don't notice them, which I suppose is the best compliment.

So of course..... I bought a Honda unit 😳

Mark

Still not 'spotted' ☹️

Although...

On any bikes I've had new or nearly new, the 'box seems to definately improve with a few thousand miles on it, to lose quite a bit of the initial clunkiness, I assume the same will probably apply to dog boxes in cars.

Mark

Still not 'spotted' ☹️

The h.t. box sounds a well made option but i believe its only made in a 5 speed format and as i will be using it mainly for racing i think a 6 speed box has to be an advantage.It also seems to be in the development stage which puts me off slightly.

Has anyone had any bad reports about the quaife 6 speed box,is it reliable?what about ease of use? Ive heard it has along shift movement. Has anyone tried one with a quickshifter.Any feedback appreciated. thanks.

I've had a five speed version of Quaifes sequential box for two years with no problems at all. It's done perhaps 1000 road miles and 17 sprints in that time.

The change isn't long in my opinion, just measured it and it's virtually exactly 50mm lever movement from the rest position to fully in gear. I don't think that's long. The lever is a one off design for the sequential and they don't do a quickshift for it as far as I know.

I would have no hesitation in recommending it for a Caterham. The only thing that might tempt me to change would be to reduce the weight, mines alloy cased and weighs something like 35kg. But then I'm fanatical about weight (of the car...) and have changed everything else that offers even small weight savings.