Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry Sumps

heavenly7

Heavenly,

It depends what engine/tyres you have and what you plan to do with the car. For general road use I personally wouldn't bother but on the track it will prevent engine damage from oil starvation caused by the higher cornering forces/heavy braking. You will find plenty of info in the archives but post a few more details and it will be easier to assist

MikeW

W89 TVV Car no 79

Thanks for your comments. I guess there is a bit more to my question. My Seven's a 1600 just over a year old. I am intending for Dave to upgrade the engine to produce around 170 bhp. The car will only be used on the road, with maybe a temptation to do the odd track day. The dry sump is obviously another upgrade possibility but there seems little point if it will not achieve a great deal given the use intended for the car.

For road use & the occasional track day an anticavitation kit (Apollo) is all you'll need. However occasional track days often escalate to many as the bug bites. Many people run K's, with your proposed state of tune, sticky tyres & an anticav. kit, on track with no problems.

Mick

Plenty of threads on this one as people suggest (I asked the same question a few weeks back). Boils down to peace of mind and cost of your engine. If it's reasonably tuned then the cost of a dry sump is a small price to pay compared to the cost (money and hassle) of sorting your engine if it goes pop due to lack of oil.

Personally, if I were track daying and even sprinting on sticky tyres, I'd rather be concentrating on what I was doing rather than trying to eye up the oil gauge.

SteveP