Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cambelt - H!elp please

bourne17

Took the plunge today and changed my belt, used a flywheel locking and cam locking tool and followed the guide on youtube. All went well and until I did a final test by turning the engine over. Found that the belt was catching on the engine side which seemed to get worse. Put all the locks back and tried to refit the belt but I couldn't get ti over the cam pulleys, it seems to be half a notch out, I also notices that on one of the cam pulley that the bolt wasn't centred it was quite a way out. Any suggestions? what next?

It is a tight fit and I found that the valve springs tend to move the cams a bit. You have to do a bit of wiggling to make it fit. Once it's on (and there will be some swearing!) it all settles down and you'll be able to see if it's lined up. You can then turn the engine by hand to make sure it turns over normally and still timed up when it's been round a few times.

Thankyou for your responses. I had another go at fitting the belt the day after (I had calmed down by this point!). I turned one of the cam pulleys slightly (as suggested) and fitted the belt, all the pulleys lined up fine, problem solved. My only concern was that back edge of the belt was close to the engine with very little clearance. I assume this is ok?

Jon