Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Being back.....

Unclefester

Hello Sheddites.

After a slight excursion into the realms of Elise preparation, and several motorcycle projects and restorations, I find myself back in the Sheds.

Isn't life curiously circular?

Anyway, I had to come back as it looks very much as though our Caterham is stirring in her shell, making little 'tap-tap-tap' noises with what has to be her beak, preparing to launch herself, like a young dragon, on the world.

In fact we are finally putting the PTP EVO220 K motor in.

And the fun 'fun'?? has already begun!

Ah well, onward and, as they opine, upward. *wink*

The sheep lover sold his 7 and went fishing 😔

Davis vanished maybe a year or more ago.

Dont recall the last time I saw Wonky....

Sadly, the sheds went to sleep a while back, and never woke up.

Great to see you back, though Fest 😬

When is the 7 going to wake up?

Jeez Louise...when indeedy?

I'm working "flat out" on the thing. It's at a buddy's garage, engine out, waiting for me to attach the Emerald conversion plug to the original EU3 harness, and adapt various mystery sensor plugs which conform to no known colour codes on any existing Caterham wiring diagram.

Then I have to remove the VHPD exhaust cam as it has no trigger lobe for the position sensor, and fit one which does (they ALL should have the trigger lobe) so I think mine is a special Piper grind for the engine, as it was PTP's own race engine in 2003 or 2004. They weren't worried about emissions, I am..and now is the time to change it, as it's on the bench.

I reckon it should be ready for the Spring, though. It also desperately needs paint, as the paint on it never hardened on the aluminium parts and consequently looks rather woolly in places, and is scratched, and otherwise messed up.

I'm not mad keen on the mustardishness of it, so it'll be Pearl White, with red stripes down the length of it, in this pattern.

(This is one I prepared earlier....ignore the stupid sidecar rig, it's just showing off...)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7001/6395242065_85b142ba5b_b.jpg

Here's the VHPD/PTP EVO 220 engine waiting for Godot and a new cam...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6437589073_5ef3948863_b.jpg

and here's the current state of the SV....

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6437590331_7dfec1ff2f_b.jpg

Edited by - Unclefester on 13 Dec 2011 17:11:09

• 2 weeks later...

Wile! Howdy! *wavey*

I got the Emerald plug on the loom, it's ready to go back in the car...new clutch is fitted to new R500 flywheel, I think it should be up and running some time in January.

Next I just need to import about 10 litres of Nitromors paint-stripper so I can remove the never hardened paint from the ally panels.