Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brake Light Switch

Ian Barkley

I have twice had to renew the brake light switch on my April 2002 car, the last time at scrutinering which did not help my 'focus' for a good qualifying when rushing to the grid at the last minute. They seem to build up dirt on the contacts and are not 'designed' to be taken apart and rebuit too often.

Are there any alternative switches, lubrication or methods of treating them to make it more reliable?

Thanks Ian *confused*

I meant the switch buried in the pedal box which is supposed to turn on the brake lights when you press the brakes pedal. The first time it failed I was accused, with some admiration I have to say, of not braking going into Gerrards at Mallory Park! But I was.

It seems that I have to live with this or devise some radically new design to keep the scrutineers and eventually MOT happy.

Thanks for your comments...

Ian

Granteuk

i think you'll find that the brake light switch to which you refer should warn you if one of the brake circuits has just failed. But there is a possibility that the light in the switch could fail, in which case you wouldn't know about the loss of your brakes. So you can press the switch at any time, to test that the light in the switch is still operational.

I thought there were two circuits, diagonally, so that you could lose half your system, but still have some stopping power. I'm not sure what happens if one of the circuits damages a pipe. Does all the fluid drop out of the master cylinder? If so, how does the second circuit operate?

As you can guess, my technological knowledge is weak. ☹️

You don't get diagonally opposing brake circuits nowadays. They're always front/back.

The switch on the dash ONLY tests the bulb in the switch. Pressing it is no guarantee of fluid level. The bulb will light on it's own IFF the brake fluid level drops below the mark. This is a bad thing.

The brake pedal switch fails in operation because of bad aligning. It should be aligned such that the very small amount of slack in the pedal does not cause the brake lights to light. If the switch is aligned such that the slightest touch lights the brake lights, you may find your brake lights coming on and off inadvertantly. This will cause arcing and eventual failure owing to carbon deposits on the contacts. These can be cleaned off though, as described. If the alignment is such that it requires a LARGE push of the pedal before the brake lights light, then you may find the same problem is caused. You need to ensure that the switch is FULLY on when the brakes are used to avoid arcing.

Flipping the little rectangular cover plate off the rear end of the switch can cause you to search in vain for hours in the back of RatRace's van for it as the spring accelerates it beyond your view. I would recommend doing this in a clean, uncluttered, open area. Preferably somewhere well lit and not painted black. Might also help to be in the same country as any potential replacement too.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

so, with sincere apologies for ian for diverting the course a little bit here, if the brake test light doesn't come on when pressed and you check the wires into the back of the switch, is it a case of changing a bulb in the switch, or replacing the switch ?

j