Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Domestic LIght Switches

virden

SWMBO (well it wouldn't be me!) keeps leaving the light on in our bathroom, which as it also operates a simultaneous fan, means that after an hour or so the heat is lost. I have tried a light switch with a red top on the rocker, but this has not been noticed, so what I want is some form of descrete warning light. I thought of a rocker with a built in neon, but as switch is set in a std lighting circuit there is only access to the live feed. Therefore it would not work? There is no possibility of getting a neutral feed to the switch. Any advice?

Interesting question. Quick thoughts:

I assume the switched feed is a single wire which later splits to the light and fan but you can't get at the bits separately...

Why would anyone notice the indicator if they don't notice the light?

Is it a wall switch or a ceiling pull?

Would it meet your needs if the fan turned off after a set time but the lights stayed on?

How about a mechanical timer switch to replace the switch? Disadvantage would be the plunge into darkness... but it would turn everything off.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

It is a wall switch, set outside the room, which is the downstairs shower /toilet located at the end of the utility room, hence the door is always kept shut. The door to it faces the back door, therefore a small light will be noticed as one turns to leave the house. The Fan does have a timer unit which activates only after the switch is put to off.

Not sure Pavlovian experiments on ones SWMBO are acceptable, and she will almost certainly work out that increased frequency in Bathroom results in more chocolate, resulting in lack of access to bathroom, large chocolate bill, and weight gain *nono*

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 29 Nov 2011 11:57:25

Motion sensor sounds good, but would it be too difficult/ expensive to achieve?

How about replacing the switch with a mechanical timer switch and installing a battery backup light (replacement or next to the existing light) to avoid the plunge into darkness? (Backup light would need appropriate rating for bathroom.)

Jonathan

Motion sensor is dead easy, it's all you have on your driveway light after all. A spark will just wire it in series with the light/extractor and they switch on and time out after a movement is detected. Worst case scenario is if you are sitting there reading the latest edition of Autocar it might time out, but you can fix this by moving. Then you just leave it permanently switched on and it only fires when someone goes in, and stays on for the set period after they leave.

I saw this in a cafe lavatory in France, it worked very well. It was a little unnerving to have the light tick on as I walked in, I did look over my shoulder, but it worked a treat.