Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DO I NEED A HEATER ?

TIM 5O

I have been thinking

do I really need a heater ( clayton model) I would not like to put off Wifey wanting to go out in it but I cant remember tha last time I used the heater so thought I would ask

has anyone regretted removing it

is it worth the work involved

any advantages apart from weight saving

thanks

For general road use, I would vote to keep a heater in place. If you use a half tonneau on the passenger side, there is a nice cocoon of warm air which will drift up past the shoulders and head area when driving, and will just make the difference to get cold to the bone, or staying slightly more comfortable. We are only talking mainly about those clear sunny frosty winter day blats, but even on a nice summer evening, I've used the heater for comfort, but then I am getting to be a bit of an old fart these days! *wink*

Paul

Hi All

Many thanks for the replies so far

just to explain useage

I live in Croydon Surrey area

I do not use the car to work

run vx

do not use over winter- I know im soft

always run windscreen -I know soft again

Have no full roof - as I hate them - but do have soft bits half roof -what else

I took mine out last year as there was a slight leak that I couldn’t find the cause of. It was easy to bypass and remove the old system but then that leaves a large section of scuttle that needs to sealed off and should be fire resistant. Ali sheet works well. However, I was surprised how little the heater actually weighed so advantages here seemed minimal and from threads on BC, I found the cause of the leak and managed to repair with a replacement matrix quite cheaply from Clayton compared to a CC replacement unit. I went back to the heater once I found I could repair it at reasonable cost but more importantly, I did notice the cold during those early morning blats over the last month. The new (repaired) heater and silicon hoses have made the whole experience far more pleasant with a big difference in temperature noted even without the fan on. Apologies to the purists but I‘ve reverted back to the dark cosy side and can not honestly say I’ve noticed much difference in performance *smile* Perhaps it’s an age thing, I’m 53 and from the soft South.

I live close to you and have similar usage. Removed mine a few years back and never regretted it. To be honest I don't seem to get any colder without it than I did with. I put that down to the fact that when your feet are nicely toasted, it makes your top parts seem even cooler. To me the benefit of the better access to everything under the bonnet outweighs the loss of heating

would one fit in a tillet I wonder? I've been frozen solid a few times this year; my long standing heat problems MAY have been solved by the half doors swopped for the full doors.. now I get cold. swmbo will be the final judge next year, if she will stay awake long enough.

Tonneau as a heat collector is very effective.. I'd forgotten that, and how to fit when the half doors are using the poppers.. if the op removes his heater and keeps his tonneau, that would work in clacton or wherever you are 😬

edit: oh yeah, I'm 55 and from the 'ard Norf. def gone to the cosy side. :-)

Edited by - anthonym on 28 Nov 2011 19:22:57

Are there any tough guys out there who regularly tour north of the border and either don't have or don't want a heater? I'm also a biker and I've commuted Ed - Glasg in a Scottish winter on two wheels. If there was a heater for bikes, I reckon I'd have got one.

I did the drive from Surrey to Edinburgh a few years ago in Feb before I installed the heater. I wore subzero thermals, my winter lined gore-tex motorbike suit, 2 pairs of gloves and a sheepskin hat and had the roof on. When I got to Scotch corner for fuel, I struggled to move out of my seat I was so cold. I had to go for a jog to warm up again. I think being that cold dulls your senses and slows your reactions.

I'm sure some of us feel the cold more than others. Perhaps some have more 'natural insulation' than others :) ?

Edited by - charlie_pank on 29 Nov 2011 08:19:51

‘Tis true that we can all pad up and insulate our important little places but why have one of the fastest cars on earth when it takes you 20 minutes to find all that lagging and apply it ☹️ Some of my best blats have been during unexpected free time or just that quick trip to the in-laws on an errand. Its got to be a balance but as the heater probably weighs less than a sheepskin / thermals and I’ve yet to find a job where the heater gets in the way – its staying put 😬

My first two cars (Singer 12, Ford Pop E93A) had no heater. For my third car, I had to choose bewteen a Ford Anglia van with a heater and (a newer) one without. I never regretted taking the soft option, and I wouldn't even want to think about running my 7 without a heater.

JV

I had a Ford Popular 103E which was kept in a shed at school. Unlicensed but only used in the school grounds. Fabric roof... because of post-war steel shortage? (If so it's related to Land Rovers!) But the wipers were operated by inlet manifold vacuum... much posher than manual.

Jonathan

Quoting anthonym: 
Ford Pop? the one with the three speed gearbox and manual "windscreen wiper" ?
The very same, Anthony. Except that the wipers, as JK pointed out *arrowup*, were operated by inlet manifold vacuum. Which meant, of course, that as you stepped on the gas to climb a hill or accelerate (I use the term loosely), the wipers slowed to a crawl. My fully heated Anglia was like a Rolls-Royce by comparison: 4-speed with synchro on 2-3-4, sweet very oversquare engine (used as the basis for F3 power in those days), and acres of loadspace. The best feature was the rear doors (like any van). I could park in very narrow gaps, and then exit via the rear! I'm not too sure how the drivers of the adjacent vehicles coped.Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Fabric roof... because of post-war steel shortage?
I was led to believe that Ford used the piece they cut out of the roof to make the bonnet.

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 29 Nov 2011 17:36:16