Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

GPS Data recorder

CharlieD

Another option that worked well for me at the last track day is the Qstarz BT-Q818XT 10Hz which does exactly the same stuff. I bluetooth my Qstarz to a RaceChrono touchscreen GPS unit but you could bluetooth it to your iPhone loaded with the regular RaceChrono app and the iPhone then stores the data. You then upload from Racechrono iPhone in CSV spreadsheet format to RaceRender or some other software for data overlay onto video separately recorded. The software that comes with the Qstarz is awful which is why I use the RaceChrono to make sense of it and help me format it into some order for export into RaceRender.

The end result (if you exclude the intro and ending slides) is the GoPro video and RaceChrono/QStarz data overlay result you see here.

USA7s Nov 2011 Track Weekend

Cheers

mike

Edited by - Croc on 27 Nov 2011 11:25:34

I've been using that exact device this touring season (so NOT racing) and it has performed almost perfectly. I have not been using the race software part of it, because the software code entry does not appear to work, but does, and then announces it has been used the allowed three times, so as yet I haven't been able to play with this part of the three part software that comes with it. Battery life should be fine for a race day or weekend. I velcro mine to the dash (just aside from where swmbo puts her feet up before falling asleep 😳)

Here is a bit more: when loading to PC (for mac you have to find open source software not supplied) if you switch off before saving the apparently uploaded track log, you lose it ☹️. Just have to remember not to look away when quitting and not to just switch off. It exports to every format I have needed and more. Works well with google earth, so I believe you can play back your track performance in GE too.

The software plays google earth within itself, tightly integrated.

I am not sure about this, but I THINK the 5mhz feature is uncommon, if not unique, so most/many of the general track logger offerings do not have this because they are not designed with track use in mind.

Now if you could find it in a video camera.. which does exist, but as I say, maybe not with the focus on track use.

The software also allows auto tagging of photographs added at the same time - but not video, which is something I want.

EDIT: on an entirely different note I want to mention that I use mine after meeting and seeing it used by our BC " petef ", a new sevener who died at a very untimely age a year or so back. R.i.p. Pete. Here's what he did with it here I think he may have had the non race day version.

Aim Solo linky for poster below

Edited by - anthonym on 27 Nov 2011 18:49:20

Hi Charlie, there are sites that (seem to) offer the video link, this subject has been for me this year's failure, having spent ages on it and playing with various web sites (some suggested on here). Up to now the only way I have seen to have video encoded GPS (or maybe that should be vice versa) is to use a video cam with GPS track included (there is at least one, maybe some), because there is no apparent way of encoding a video with a GPS track after the event. All the offering to do this do no more than add a GPS tag to the beginning of the video, nothing more. When I bought my tracker and video cam I always thought it would be easy to link the two. It isn't. And if anyone knows it is I would love to hear about it.All the google internet sites etc that appear to do something like, in the end, don't or not properly.

a subject of max frustration for me *confused*

that gadget suggested just above looks very interesting... not looked at it yet.

Do you want race track data as well as gps track data? I do, but not for on track use in my case.

I've an AIM MXL Pista in my Duratec R for data logging, with a GPS module.

I had a pov vio 1.5 (I just sold) as camera.

I've been frustrated for years not being able to overlay the datas on my videos.

AND, a few weeks ago I too discovered RaceRender.

I wrote a BC post on it here.

Edited by - Catastrada on 28 Nov 2011 15:37:33

I bought a second-hand but still sealed and unused Qstarz BT-Q1000EX last week and I can't get the damn thing to log my travels. It connects to my computers OK (tried it on 3 different machines) but QRacing just reports 0% memory usage, i.e. no log data. I've tried a GPS program and it does show the right output I think, but I just can't get it to do what I bought it for. How frustrating. *mad*