Click here if you are having website access problems ×

It was an autumn evening...

Violet Elizabeth

...and the leaves were scuttling along ahead of a chilly breeze, only to be stopped in their excited scurry by the side of the long forgotten bike shed. Paint peeled off crumbling brickwork, rusting bike racks bled dark orange streaks onto the concrete floor. Even the once vibrant graffiti had faded, as if the memory of those who scrawled there was slowly being erased from the old bike sheds life.

To the casual observer any indication of the previous life of the bike shed would be almost hidden. But look closer and remnants of this once triving social centre appear. A few hastily stubbed out dog-ends, their filter fibres turgid with rain water. A smattering of Latin phrases in neat, but faint , felt tip "Plenum Iungo aderat" . A couple of half rotted cucumbers, sought out and then discarded as inedible by an assortment of not-as-hungry-as-they-thought animals. The twisted hulk of a ill-conceived solar powered submarine, long since stripped of it's Alpine CD-changer, stands as inadmissable evidence to the plans for world domination hatched amongst the tesco bags and discarded nomex y-fronts.

An air of emptiness surrounds the shed, a vacuum waiting to be filled with sarcasm, smut, vegetables and even laughter. Like a harbour without boats, or a garage without a Se7en, the void can almost be felt, smelt and tasted.

The still ache of the bike sheds is only broken by a lone squirrel, preparing for winter, which lollops, unconcerned, past the detritus. Stops suddenly. And thinks "Nuts".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A hoopy is spotted wondering past the bike sheds.

he is tired from a day of meetings, and trying desparately to get his car from fordham, to arch, to cambridge whilst having bits of steering rack delivered, bits from caterham delivered, getting to and from cambridge and helping the cam7 crew out with SVAs, garage doors, boodywork fittings and house paintings. All this without a trailer, van, or hire company with vans available, or place to stay in cambridge. ☹️

Worst still he faces a long, 6 mile, run home. Worse still, he has to be in work by 7 tomorrow ☹️

OTOH, his friend Buroz has saved the day with trailer, been bribed to drop hoopy and seven off at arch on friday, will collect them afterwards, and will help poor hoopy drink beer long into the night. *smile*

Better still, hoopy has managed to book friday off at very short notice. *smile*

Better still the physio says Hoopy's wrist is now better *smile*

So the happy hoopy trundles along in buoyuant mood

However, he's not spotted the rotting cucumbers in the corner.....

HOOPY Today I shall be mostly wanting to go for a blat R706KGU

Hoopys look most hideous, I can assure you. Sort of like a cross between a baboon and a gnu, walking backwards.

They have a rare ability to speak several languages, but never the same one as anyone nearby - the result is that much of what they say is always incomprehensible to those nearby.

Honda Passion Orange, 640kg *eek*, and proud of it 😬

German? According to AltaVista:

an-der-ray, AN-DER-RAY, YEEBAR! YEEBAR!

becomes:

on-that-ray, to-that-ray, YEEBAR! YEEBAR!

Following the setting sun for a Blat maybe? Hear a cry of Yeebar and you'll know Hoopy's nearby in his Seven *wink*.

Peardrop

Edited by - Peardrop on 9 Oct 2002 23:50:58

Great stuff Noger *thumbup* Your "Magnus Opus" *wink*

Just found a few phrases that people could sprinkle around CC

Vulneratus non victus - bloodied but unbowed

Absit invidia - no offence intended

Castigat ridendo mores - laughter succeeds where lecturing won't

Incidis in Scyllam cupiens vitare Charybdim - out of the frying pan into the fire

Quite honestly, I'm disinclined to continue posting on CC ("Hurrah", I hear you chant in unison) if humour (or tosserdom) is not the order of the day *confused*

*thumbup* Straits of Messina *thumbup*

Don't know about the choklot though. I'm trying to avoid it ☹️

Does your quote mean that one of of the "Rats" got stuck in your plenum chamber 🤔 A fitting end *wink*

FH

Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur *eek*

Finally made it chaps .... what have I missed in the bike sheds? I have been "out of action" for a few days working away and Rach has been tucked up in bed with some flue bug since sunday ☹️

Some miserable people up in chitchat at the moment .... not sure whether to laugh or cry! ... I have had my say though and I will leave it at that!

I may need counceling tomorrow as I will seeing Hoopy in the pub tonight ..... *eek*

Alex

S713UMY

1.8k Viper Blue with Crutch Straps

Edited by - abirtwisle on 10 Oct 2002 13:01:34

FH - Nescio quid dicas. And as for Plenum chambers *confused* don't think I got one *confused* ...think Iungo is wrong (and not about the handkerchief)

You didn't miss much Alex ! We had to talk about cars and stuff, the very though of it 😬

Hopefully things up *thumbup* there will calm down soon. Storm in a teacup.

Poor Rach ☹️ hope she is feling better soon.

Edited by - Noger on 10 Oct 2002 14:23:38

Aaaah, it's like coming home and settling into a comfy armchair.

I've checked over the discard veg and it looks well past its best so I'll leave that alone.

The only fun on CC at the mo is the VBH thread and the 11,000 + viewings its had 😬

Paul

Some sort of tosser