Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noisy Rear End!!

gasha

I havent inspected it closely yet, but I think I may have driveshaft/diff/propshaft problems as there is a really knocky grindy noise that comes from the rear end, but strangely only when the front wheels are on full lock or there abouts and it is really noticable if you are trying to push the car about.

Anyone know what it might be or experienced this before???

Many Thanks

Gareth - C7SSP *cool*

gasha,

is your car fitted with an LSD? is it a live-axle?

F355GTS seems to know the car, and Im sure would have suggested this, but refer to my recent thread "HELP nasty noises..."

I have since found out that the diff in my live axle is knackered, and is needing replacement. never made any noises dependant on steering lock, but was definatley noticeable when pushing in the drive...

do your noises increase in pitch/volume/frequency depending on roadspeed?

Thanks for the responses so far. When the car is being driven the noise is unnoticeable it is only really when pushing it while steering. Pushing it while in a straight line is fine, no noise. It has a LSD but I'm not sure what type.

Mark, any ideas as to what diff ratio C7SSP has?? is it a 4:11?

Ta very much,

Gareth

I was given to believe it's a 3:92 but don't quote me on that!

Also I was advised that the LSD is a plate type

Don't know why it should happen but it sounds more like a failing UJ in one of the drive shafts, IIRC it was possible to hear the noise when driving at ery low speeds when lock is applied

Mark

that's what I thought when driving it - UJs (expensive, ouch) noticeable at low speeds on lock, wouldn't hurt to replace all frame bushes initially.

Gar, we'll get Earnie to take a look on the ramps, don't worry you'll get out on the road in a repaired 7 one of these days (you can borrow mine in the mean-time for the London-Brighton run and we'll have a look over the winter months).

M