Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Indicator on cycle wing not working. Where to start?

wingnutLP

Quoting Michael H: 
Earth is the key here I think, but remember that the metal wingstay only connects to chassis ground via the brake hose! Sometimes tightening the brake union on the back of the caliper will fix the indicator repeater problem.

Good luck

Mike

+1 for what Mike said.

I have spent a long time trying to sort these out before working out that the ground can only come up the brake hose..

Jason

Bloody hell chaps, I forgot to check the thread over the weekend and half the owners in the country have replied!

The main front indicator and rear one still work. I have not checked with hazards but this shouldn't change anything I don't think.

I will grab a meter from work and check for continuity with earth. Thanks all, I will report back. :)

My last fun car was an old defender which I drove to Sierra Leone so I am all too familiar with dodgy wiring! 😬

Brake hose for a ground would have taken me a while and I figured there was a reasonable chance of some wierdness in the wiring on the cycle wing.

Those cheapo multimeters are great value and like you I can't imagine not having one. It makes fault diagnosis obvious. I think I got 2 for £5 from Maplin a while back, and they are more accurate than the mechanical meter I used to use for electronics work 20 years ago. The only area they fall down is robustness and probable longevity but at £4 delivered who cares?

Quoting mav: 
Well I own a Caterham and don't have a multimeter!

I also don't understand electrics.

Guilty on both counts... Though I also believe it to be the earth on the wing-stay. I had similar trouble.

Edited by - Thurtene on 22 Nov 2011 12:44:04

Tsk, and a racer to boot. So do you have Caterham Midlands check your rear light bulb every time one goes out? Buy yourself a cheapy, repeat regularly "vee equals eye arr" and you'll soon pick it up. It's not hard (unless you're working with an old British bike, or anything Italian, in which case Ohm's law doesn't apply and you just need to make sure you keep the smoke in - replacement smoke is available if it gets out).

Cheers Jez! Car's still with Caterham Westbury - it should be back with DPR pretty soon. Cost will be insurance excess, again... *eek*

Roger - totally agree I should have one. I'll ask Santa. Might also ask for a jar of smoke, too - just to be on the safe side... 😬

• 1 month later...

It has taken me rather a long time to get to doing this but having checked the caliper and the brake hose seems pretty tight at both ends.

Am I safe to undo it a bit and then re tighten it to see if that helps or might I end up needing to bleed the brakes?

In view of a couple of the posts on this thread .... If you are new to the joys of multi meters or intend to get one but arent sure how to use it then buy a copy of '' Haynes -Practical Electrical Systems - ISBN 1 84425 267 1''.

I am not with it on car electrics but with a multi meter and this book (not expensive) and a few other little bits and pieces you can have a lot of fun chasing faults. This combo has helped me ... re balance my throttle bodies, chase a fault with my rear brake lights, test a faulty water temp sender. I did buy an expensive multimeter in ignorance but at least its paid for itself now! There is no better read on a wet winters night when the seven is in the garage than the book above. Treat yourself *wink*

Fil

• 2 months later...

Hi all, in the end it was the live between teh body and where it enters the tube that supports the cycle wing.

The wire seems like a very thick gague and had snapped and been bodged by a previous owner. I have now replaced with a finer stranded wire that should flex better.