Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

X-Flow Oil Type

Greywolf

New to this and no doubt has been asked before; what is the best engine oil to use for my 1700 (1989) Ford Cross-Flow engine? (135bhp) Oil pressure is good at present and engine sounds great. During the winter months I want to carry out some TLC on her, where is the best place to find info on the X-Flow?

I use Mobile Motorsport 15/50 which is slightly thicker than the 0/40. It is very expensive but suppossed to be very good. The 0/40 oil may give a tiny bit more power, the 15/50 oil is a bit safer, so I am told.

Info on XFlows on Blatchat or Burton Power who sell parts etc or various engine builders including Wilcox.

Mine, a 140bhp Roger King 1800 x/flow, always ran on Mobil 1 15/50w for just over 50,000 miles worth of blatting, trackdays, touring and sprinting.........and then it let go (but that's another story).

I'm sure you'll get another x/flow owner telling you about another oil etc, but the problem is they're all in different states of tune. Your best bet for info on this forum would be to have a look in the archives, just click on 'search' at the top of the page and see what you can unearth.

I use VR1 20W50 - motorsport mineral oil ideal for older engines.

Caterham recommend Coma Eurolite 10W40, which is a semi-synthetic.

Don't use light synthetic oils in crossflows. The tolerances between the internal parts are greater than modern engines and thin oils may not provide sufficent film thicknesses to protect the engine.

Mobil have stoped doing the 15w50 fully synthetic oil, it has changed to a 10w60.

Comma produce a good 15w50 fully synthetic oil as a replacement.

The engines used in the 7 may be Xflow but they are modern versions with better materials used, less flex in the crankshaft and tighter tolerences so a good synthetic will compliment them.

Older versions from the 70s will as Muscat has advised run better on the older style oils.

A mineral will break down quicker and a 20w grade will not give good start up protection, a lower viscosity would be better.

When hot a 40 grade will do agreat job but on the tarck a 50 will cope better with the heat.

There are a few 10w40 fully synthetics about, giving a good balance between great start up protection, good oil pressure, hot protection, fuel economy, BHP, well worth tracking down.

Just an opinion.

Phil *cool*

All the modern oils are so much better than the best available in the 1960s when the XFlow was designed. There really shouldn't be any problem with a modern quality oil of suitable grade. A 40 weight oil is probably as light as you want to go, and the winter rating depends on whether you use it in really cold weather. Mine is dry sumped and I use it all year so the 0W is useful for me.

I use Motul 300v 15w50 synthetic and it is very good if you do some trackdays or you drive quickly from time to time.

For the first 800 miles after the rebuild I used a Castrol Mineral 15w40 which is fine.

(It is the recommanded oil by Caterham in my driver book)

It will allow the beding in process more than the Motul which is a race oil

With the Motul, the oil pressure is better at idle at hot