Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff Fitment Probs

darren f

Any ideas on a best methodology to fit the rear diff?

The assembly guide states loose fit the top 11" bolt and then fit the two bottom bolts and centre up using the flat washers. Tried that and found that all 3 bolts do not line up at once.

I have now put two smaller bolts at the top to get some 'play' and the two bottom bolts will fit (I concentrated on getting these in as I was worried about knackering the threads in the ali of the diff housing). It is now 'washered-up' to be central. All well and good, but on trying to fit the top bolt it is tighter than a very tight-thing. In fact it looks like the diff and chassis bushes are some way out.

Any simple / ingenious solutions been employed out there? There must be 'cheat' to get this done or is it really just a 'whack with a large hammer' type solution.

Darren,

I had the same issue when I built my first car, and called Caterham insisting that it won't go in. In turn they sent a mechanic round to my garage to see what the problem was.

He got under the car, and guess what..... he whacked it in with a large hammer. I was glad that he did that, because I would never have felt ok hammering it in that way.

Kevork

support the diff on a trolley jack with one person holding it steady and controlling the height. the other person pushes the bolts through (using a hammer). then measure to check its central and move washers from side to side to get it in the middle.

HOOPY Today I shall be mostly wanting to go for a blat R706KGU

Post Script on this one-

It helps if you do not have a very slightly over-sized top bolt ☹️ ☹️

Upon recieving a replacement top bolt (thanks Jez Coates- you are a star *thumbup*), which didn't need hammering through the diff BEFORE it even got onto the car, the diff went in as clean as a whistle.