Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Helicoil advice please

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

The internal thread on the stem of my SPA mirror has become enlarged (probably by a 2 year old using it as a handle to get into the 7 *mad*) See here

I would just replace it, but as it was made to a custom length, I'd rather try to repair it.

I have no experience of helicoil inserts and wanted to know if that was a possible solution. The thread needs to be M5 - the current size of the hole is 4.84mm and the OD of the stem is 9.9mm

Is a helicoil the right solution and is there likely to be enough material to fit it? Even more cheekily, is there anyone in the Bucks/Berks area with a helicoil kit I could borrow, or could anyone do this for me for some beer tokens or some cash to NTL?

Many thanks -

Michael.

• Leadership Team

To be honest, I'm not, because it's rather rogered *eek*

I ran an M5 die down an old SPA mount and it cleaned the thread up nicely, but the material is so soft that I may actually have been been cutting a new thread. At least based on that, if I can fit an M5 helicoil to the stem, I can mate it to an M5 mount...

Michael.

I've got an M5 kit and would be happy to lend it to you, or do it for you if you're able to bring the car round. Middlesex rather then Herts/Bucks, but not too far away.

But as said the screws on mine definitely take imperial allen keys. Doesn't mean you can't replace them with an appropriate M5 screw, of course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Leadership Team

Many thanks for the offer Stuart, but Roger has been a star and has got this sorted for me. Now I just need to convince the 2 year old that it's not a handle to swing from...

All the best - Michael