Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Honda S2000 engine

christophe

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2c worth.

I'm not going to pitch into the engine religion thing. An engine has the simplest job to do on a car. It has to spin, produce power, not cost too much and not weight too much. Where you view the compromises is up to you.

What I will point out is that the *engine* may be reliable yet still fail if the *installation* is inappropriate. That ultra-reliable Honda engine that everybody is so keen on will probably be needing a shallow sump in order to live in a Seven. That causes problems. The radiator arrangement is entirely different. That causes problems (which can include thermal shocks and the like).

I have also recently heard of a number of standard honda engines in standard hondas that have gone tits up because of momentary over-revs. Small over-revs. The engines are close to their limits.

The cost of a small volume/one off installation always escalates in time, trouble and money. It is great to see some pioneering work from BaT. Many people will continue to consider Ks the viable option because they slot into a K shaped hole that they already have in their cars, hooking up to a K shaped wiring loom (EU3 not included).

Other philosophical point is that some owners attract mechanical failures, while others run similar specs and have no trouble. Hmmm. I wonder which type I am...?

slight aside on weights here - edmundsd mentioned he was getting 3.4 bhp per kilo...

the engine in the hawker fury aircraft (late WW2) was procuding about 3.1 bhp per kg. And it weighed nearly a tonne. Thats over 50 years ago, and it was relaible to put in an aircraft, and i believe it had a carrier version as well - would you trust your engine to get you over an ocean 🤔

HOOPY Today I shall be mostly wanting to go for a blat R706KGU

Some estimated prices I've been quoted by various engine tuners for race engines when fitted to my existing HPC car:

Hayabusa dry-sumped and conversion fittings - c. £9k for 180bhp

Hayabusa dry-sumped big-bore and conversion fittings - c. £14k for 253bhp

Blackbird dry-sumped and conversion fittings - c. £7k for 165bhp

Cosworth n/a - £7k for 240bhp

Cosworth n/a - £9k for 260bhp

Vauxhall 2.0l - £7k for 265bhp

Vauxhall 1600cc - £13k for 210bhp

Rover 1800cc - £11.5k for 230bhp

Maxda rotary turbo [imported] - £4.5k for 280bhp

Duratec - £7.5k for 240bhp

BDG steel block 2.0l - £10.5k for 250bhp

*confused* *confused* *confused* What do you go for? On track each have strengths and weaknesses!!

Stateside, the rotary engine has been well-developed and has a big fan club. Searches of their sites will point you at numerous established tuners. The engine is also used for dragsters and produces c. 600bhp on special fuels.

In the UK there are 2 well-known cars on the circuits: - the Mazda RX7 campaigned by a Reading tuning company and Dave Green who runs his Daren in the Castle Coombe GT Championship [normally finishes in the top 4]. Chris Maries also used to run an awesome 7 with one fitted.

This is cut from the www.essexracing.co.uk site -

"The Engine is based on a Mazda RX-7 engine. But in race spec the only part that remains from a road car is the front cover plate. The rest of the engine is manufactured from specially prepared and machined parts none of which could be used in the road-going version. The reason we chose the Rotary engine is it's power to weight ratio. The engine weighing only 65 Kilos and produces 350 B.H.P. "

However, whilst all this sounds good - how nice is a Turbo in a 2 wheel drive race car? Lack of torque, lack of engine braking, on-off characteristics make it hard to drive and the engine is renowned for high noise levels. Compare Duncan Cowper's 2 wheel drive Dax Rush Hayabusa Turbo with c.360 bhp to Gino Cu??? 4 wheel drive Cosworth turbo 7 with 400 bhp. The latter is significantly heavier but also much faster round a circuit as he can lay the power down more effectively.

What interests me is what engines where the fast guys at Brands using? Some of the times dipped into the 49 sec. bracket!!