Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Honda S2000 engine

christophe

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? Aren't they quite heavy and "pretty" peaky? And that's if they fit in a Caterham which from the photo on the other thread looked less than certain.

Stick to K power Andrew, or check out the Duratec stuff and give Janet's ears a rest *smile*

Not a fantastic engine for Torque as it produces the same as an R500 engine. That said that itsn't a huge problem in a car as light as a Caterham. With some mods the engine could easily push out a lot more power (like the car in the fast and the furious). I have heard the engine is very tall for a Caterham engine bay and would require a sizeable hump.

That said I am sure it would be a very interesting project and I am sure some seven club members would love to be involved!

IIRC, AndyT from Bookatrack.com was considering this at one point. How far he got I don't know, but I have a vague recollection of discussing this with him at Llandow a few months back. Perhaps a post on one of the Bookatrack forums would get some additional info?

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Physically it fits (just), but its a bit tall, so would need some sort of bonnet bulge, or a dry sump so the engine could be lower in the car.

If you're using the S2000 belhousing and gearbox, you'd need to either modify the footwells or modify the bellhousing.

Having been on track with the Bookatrack "thing" then I can say DO IT!

There is also plans to fit one in an elise.

I am sure I read somewhere the other day that there is one kicking around with 280bhp....

and plans for 300...

See X777CAT here

OK.Seems with a strong shoe horn that would fit.

I currently drive a VVC and want a track day only car.

Should I use the Honda gearbox or use the Caterham six? Apparently using the Honda requires substantial modification.

I can lower the engine as much as possible, but going for a dry sump is probably a good idea. Anyone knows would could supply this?

For the happy few which have already done that, what have been the technical issues, if any, or is it reasonably straightforward?

Because I would start from a new chassis, I need to prepare the specs. What would you advise?

Simon - perhaps you should buy a BMW.

An extra 30kg is not the end of the day? Really. People should be barred from this forum for such comments.

If it can be avoided it should be. These cars are what they are because they are lightweight, so adding it unnecessarily is silly and a distinctly backward step.

Adding power to overcome said unnecessary deficiency is also not necessarily the best solution.

Loiseau - if all you want is a track day car you would be *much* better served with a bike engine. I would guess that a suitably tuned bike engine would be available for less than the cost of your S2000 engine. The gearbox (6speed sequential) is included and the whole lot will weigh a fraction of the S2000/Caterham 6 spd combo. It's a fairly well understood path to tread too, so you don't get lumbered with all the headaches associated with doing something that few others have done.

I learned at the last weekend. Heavy cars are :-(

I love my Vaux, but sometimes the car and the driver is to heavy.

S 2000. The owner is fully happy with his car. I build the engine himself in the car. For road it will be perfect. Very, very strong! But a lot o work and a lot of modifications on chassis and oil pan.

Regards

Joachim

if all you want is a track day car you would be *much* better served with a bike engine

If our experiences of BECs on trackdays are anything to go by then the massive failure rate of these engines surpasses any K(lick) Series powered cars !

The power delivery in our s2K powered Westy seems far better than the peaky nature of a R500 engine.. plus the s2k is 240bhp out of the box without any tweaks. so in theory should last far longer than the Minister engine

We have already approached Caterham with a long list of requirements to build a Cat from scratch using this engine but a) they aren't really interested in helping and b) the costs are way too high when you actually manage to get them to give you an idea

Next port of call will be Westf1eld, for a new kit

Andy

BookaTrack.com