Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The Grit Magnet - Waxoyl...!

glasgow

Hello, all…. Haven’t been on blatchat for a while…. Now back again….. Hope you all well, and had great fun in the summer..

Now, the question….

Few months ago (April/May), I sprayed the underneath of the seven with waxoyl. Recently, I noticed the inside of the side “skin” of the car has got some grit stuck to it especially at the lower gutter between the chassis and the inside of side skin. http://www.flickr.com/photos/53629241@N02/6341954955/, http://www.flickr.com/photos/53629241@N02/6342702318/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/53629241@N02/6341952769/Tried to use a warm hose to clean it off, but no luck – thick waxoyl… Not sure what to do? I would like to respray the car with waxoyl this week but I think this grit needs to be cleaned first.

Regards

Ahmed

• Leadership Team

Leave it as it is until there's time to clean off the old Waxoyl and replace with new - purely for cosmetic reasons. Best done in the summer when the Waxoyl will penetrate further between the chassis tube and skin - just wipe the old wax off. The Waxoyl is currently adding protection, the grit/dirt is on the surface of the Waxoyl. Removing the Waxoyl and leaving bare will be less protected.

Bare steel + aluminium + damp is a recipe for corrosion. This will actually be a bigger problem where you can't see it on the underside of the lower chassis rail where the rivets are - your Waxoyl treatment will help reduce this corrosion even though it starts to look a little un-sightly.

Stu.

Given that these areas are quite exposed I would not treat them.

Didn't mean to treat that area - it was "unavoidable" splash while using the Waxoyl pressure can. Although I sprayed the inside of grot trap so i expect the same there as well....

Errm, did I sprayed it wrongly (should i have covered this area to avoid waxoyl splash?)

Leave it as it is until there's time to clean off the old Waxoyl and replace with new - purely for cosmetic reasons.

Don't mind cosmetic at this area, it is only me who see it (although it's adding wait to the car 😬 😬 ). My concern is the salt is coming to the roads soon - Not sure if the salt will also got stuck there or it will be melt when reacting with the waxoyl?!?! *confused*

A

Edited by - Glasgow on 14 Nov 2011 08:53:06

Leave it on unless it's unsightly in which case you can clean it off with paraffin or petrol on a rag. Paraffin is better, less flammable.

I wouldn't worry abou the salt sticking to it, Waxoyl has corrosion inhibityors and if you use your car in heavily salted conditions the bit that sticks to any wax will be the least of your worries.

I'd leave it or add another layer. One tip - don't use your car for a few days after application - I once treated a car and then later that day we took it out in the wet. It all washed off. Given that the stuff is moderately expensive I was more than a bit unhappy.

I disagree - I always treat those areas, but I use very 'watered down' Waxoil (white spirit).

This allows it to get well into all joint gaps and keep water out.

Works a treat!

What you don't want is 'thick' Waxoil, as it won't get into the joints and gaps.

• Leadership Team

I disagree - I always treat those areas, but I use very 'watered down' Waxoil (white spirit).

This allows it to get well into all joint gaps and keep water out.

and:
Best done in the summer when the Waxoyl will penetrate further between the chassis tube and skin
... I'm sure you get the message now!

Stu.