Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Roll bar foam

John E

get the 10 quid DT stuff not the 7.72 stuff. the former is nice safety devices stuff, the latter just looks like normal foam but with a non-central hole through it - looks really naff and isn't quite as good. Still a HUGE impovement on DIY foam though.

HOOPY Today I shall be mostly wanting to go for a blat R706KGU

Edited by - hoopy on 8 Oct 2002 17:27:47

Please ignore this post... and see later comments

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

If you want to go for a cheap option, go to your local DIY store and buy some pipe insulation. Not as good, but easy to get hold of - and only cost £1.50 a metre.

Edited by - robf on 9 Oct 2002 23:36:33

Except that it will do absolutely sod all to help in the event of an accident.

Please don't use DIY foam, get some of this stuff here or similar. DT sell it, others may be cheaper...

If you want proof of this - try punching the rollbar with the padding on. Now imagine that being your head and it hitting it 10 times faster.... ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

I've editted my last post as well a little as it wasn't too clear in this respect.

HOOPY Today I shall be mostly wanting to go for a blat R706KGU

😬

I've ordered the stuff from DT. The 10 quid stuff is Safety Devices product and for that price you get just under a metre. Apparently its slightly thinner than DT's own product but has a progressive impact resistance. Sounds like the dogs nuts so I've gone for it. Thanks again for all of the advice on this essential subject. *thumbup*

Run Baby Run

I have just received a length of the Safety Devices padding. The notches for mounting with cable ties is positioned so that 1 length cannot be used for 2 rear supports (OK if you have the cross brace behind the head, but not if you don't - if you see what I mean) as there are three notches at the quarter lengths and half notches at each end.

If I insist on trying to use the one length for the 2 rear supports, there are two options:

1. Use a half length and use the central notch for 1 cable tie and then use duck tape over most of the length - will look a little amateur.

2. Use a half length as above but have additional cable ties near the ends (but not on the notch at each end). This will allow maybe 4 or 5 ties with sufficient meatunderneath them so as not to cut through the foam.

Any other ideas?

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!