Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Numpty questions about Trickle Chargers

Trevor Lunnon

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats right - I got the same advice when fitting a couple of Varta motorcycle cells at the end of last year, they suggested isolating the +ve for all applications. Therefore my new policy is, if its got an alarm and/or ECU (which lets face it most things to these days, even my Fiat Panda run-about is on canbus loom wiring with an ECU & immobiliser you can't do anything with) - I'll isolate the +'ve in future.

Can I return to the numpty end of the conversation please?

Having noticed starting was getting progressively more reluctant the longer the gap between use (could be cold starting temperatures though) I bought a charger that once the battery is charged will switch to a maintenance mode.

The owners manual and charger instructions all recommend removing the battery from the car to charge - which I did last night - but for ongoing battery maintenance that sounds a faff and makes getting in and driving off more difficult as one would have to install the battery again.

If you trickle charge what do you do?

- apply clamps, turn on, return to beer/TV/wife/mistress?

- disconnect battery terminals, apply clamps, etc (both battery terminals?)

- or remove the battery and charge like the manual says to?

Thanks in advance....

That is where fitting a battery master switch (inline to the +ve terminal) comes in handy, Then either fit a charging jack (such as the separtely fused flylead that comes with an optimate charger), or a 12v cigar lighter socket under dash, as suggested above. Then you can quickly and easily isolate the battery and stick the car on charge, an you know that the if parked-up long term you can isolate and there is no drain on the battery from alarms/immobilisers (that can still be activated before isolating for additional security) either.

In the interim - disconnect +'ve terminal, charge battery in the car with crocodile clips on the charger (better safe than sorry, in-case of electrical surge, spike, lightning strike, ground earth leakage, malfunctioning charger, or goodness knows what else might come from a charger and mess-up your car's ECU).