Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Standard working rev counter to borrow, please

Mankee

Does anyone have a standard rev counter know to be in full working order that they could lend me for a short period? Mine works OK up to about 6500rpm and then the revs soar to past 8000rpm! My engine doesn't go that high unfortunately. ☹️

The shift light (standard Supersport plus Emerald setting) works fine and the car drives spot on, so I just need to confirm that it's my rev counter that's duff. Car is around a 1996/1997 chassis and I'm not sure of the make of the rev counter, but there's only three simple wires behind it and no dip switches that I can see.

Of course, I'll pay for postage both ways and donation to NtL etc.

Back of the tacho looks like this (modded by Speedy Cables a few years before I bought the car):

http://images51.fotki.com/v628/photos/8/42688/7812053/DSCF1560-vi.jpg

I have a caterham branded one from that same year 1996 car

Mine works fine but rattles alot so something inside is loose but your welcome to borrow it once ive replaced mine! *thumbup*

I dont about logistics but we can work something out im sure

Thanks for the reply. That is a very tempting offer actually! The only thing is that the needle on my standard Caterham-branded rev counter is red, as it's been modded by Speedy Cables for the previous owner. It's only a minor detail I guess. When will yours be available? Wondering if I should get mine fixed, buy a used one or just go wild and spend £100 on a brand spanker...

well,ive just broke the glass in mine (damn) *mad* but i might send it to speedy cables to see if they can fix it. *rolleyes*

i think the new one is £160 at caterham,if youve found one cheaper let me know.

do they do a bulk buy of 2?? 😬

Ah, that's a bit of bad luck! As well as Speedy Cables, I found this company who might be able to fix our rev counters for £60 plus postage. A little bit cheaper than Speed Cables. The website is a little busy!

I think our tachometers are made by Smiths, as the back of mine looks identical to this one from eBay, except for the cylinder switch. If I was to splash out on a new rev counter, I'd get a Racetech RTTC8, here.