Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live axle A frame bush movement

Ivaan

I've noticed a clonk at the rear as the car goes over large bumps.

Rocking the car, side to side, using the roll bar, I can re-create the clonk in the garage. I've just got my son to do the rocking, and I can clearly see where it's coming from.

The A Frame bush, that fits into the socket under the diff, is moving sde to side, hitting the ears welded to the axle. Is this usual?

This bush appears to be the only point giving lateral restraint to the whole axle assembly?

Planning a early blat tomorrow, so would like some advice.

Thanks,

Clive.

Just done a search on this. Loads of info in there. Powerflex looks the way to go. I've done over 6,000 miles since buying the car, so no surprise they're knackered.

In the meantime, I assume the car's safe to drive.

I'll replace asap.

Clive

A word of warning- once the bush is failing and you have that awful knocking going on, there are a lot of shock loads acting on the lugs welded onto the axle tube. I have seen these crack and fail in the past.

Replace the bush as soon as they're worn out

Don't bend the lugs out to make the new bushes fit in easier

Re: lifespan, mine last approx one weekend!

I'm currently running the rose jointed A frame on my car, the car being an ex racer, prototype etc etc came with the rose jointed A frame, and a spare Y16 bush type A frame. When I first got the car quite a few people (including Caterham) told me that running a rose jointed A frame on the road would rip the mounting off the axle, so I changed to the Y16. I ran that for years, But a fellow former Blade owner in Essex had ran the rose joined one for years with no problems on the road, so last year when the Y16 needed changing I swapped back to the Rose jointed frame, and I must say I noticed slightly more over steer on a trackday at Cadwell( I say over steer, more like I couldnt seem to get on the power quite as early), over the Y16 bush A frame, maybe this is due to stiffening the movement of the axle? Wondering if this would be the same with a poly bush in the standard type A frame?

The rose jointed A frame reduces the resistance to roll to almost zero it certainly doesn't increase it.

Had one on my previous live axle car - used on the road for over 6,000 miles with no problems. As the rubber bushes degrade the shock loads increase, I suspect it is this that starts the damage to the bracket on the axle which then fails after the change to the rose jointed item.

Been using the Rose jointed A Frame since the part was introduced by Caterham. The present joint has been on the car for some 15 years and done something over 85,000 miles - still feels good.

Before going over to the Rose joint I probably went through 4 or 5 sets of rubber bushes a year (got really used to doing roadside changes...) On my car, with the old x-flow, they were always covered with oil so it was unsurprising and anyway they probably were never meant to get the sort of wear and environment of the A frame as they were originally the Austin A35 top link bushes 😬...