Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Windscreens

Julian Bradley

I have 4 speed 1700 long cockpit crossflow. My windscreen looks like it has been machine gunned. I therefore assume it will fail its looming MOT. How much are Brooklands aero screens? Are they relatively easy to install or swap with a standard screen? I have heard this takes 10-15 minutes. Does the car go much faster? I have already asked Caterham how much standard screens are, but they have already not told me. Are heated screeens (as present screen is) more expensive than regular ones?

I do think Brooklands screens look fantastic, and do not mind dressing like a Capt W E Johns character *cool*, but I drive the thing all year. I like the option of sticking a "standard" back on in the winter - is this as easy as it looks?

Hi Julian,

Screens plus stanchions from DT (or caterham) is £240-ish. To this you need to add some mirrors, convex are best. Little Racetech formula side ones are £25ish each. Centre mirror varies between £70 for the Spa one, £30 for the racetech one (which you have to bolt through the scuttle, whereas the Spa one goes on the stanchion). Or sticking on a cheap halfords one upside down.

A few bolts, some self tapping screws, and maybe an old bicycle inner tube...and you are set !

I am not particularly handy, but managed to do the conversion without too much bother. Having a spare pair of hands helps.

The most difficult bit (although hardly rocket science) was drilling out the rivets on the knee trim, I have a similar car to yours, so guess it will be the same. Also I made life difficult by getting the Racetech mirror, and I found bolting the mirror through the scuttle very hard, the access from under the dash is not easy for chubby fingers ! The stanchion does not come pre-drilled, so a bit of work is needed to get everything lined up.

Aside from that it is "just" a matter of taking the knee trim off, unbolting the stanchion, feeding (or cutting in my case) the electric screen cables through the scuttle, bolting the assembled screen on, replacing the trim with self tappers. Couple of hours job.

The result....a faster car ! On track, with the screens folded down, I reckon I get at least 5-10mph extra top speed. Which is good for us 4-speeders.

Although I know many people use them all year round, I took the car 150 mile round trip to work with the aeroscreens on. It really needed a helmet, as even on a nioce warm day it was quite a tiring journey, much more so that doing it with the full screen on.

But for an evening blat they just cant be beat.

Hope that helps.

Another advocate for Brooklands screens.

Managed to get a 2nd hand assembly complete with mirrors in June 2001 and the windscreen has only been back on once since 😬 I guess with all things there are advantages and disadvantages it just depends on your individual perception.

Personally I find being in a 7 with a windscreen and side screens very claustrophobic now. With screens all round vision is som much better.

You will get some wind buffeting, depends on how high you sit in the seat, but it is completely different feeling from driving with a windscreen and no doors.

As has already been said, a decent pair of sunglasses or goggles and a helmet for very cold and/or wet days. You'll not get as wet in the rain as you might think. A pair of half height doors are also very handy.

Be bold and go for it.

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud 😬 ...well it only sounds fast officer 😳

Brooklands aeroscreens for those........flies in the teeth moments *eek*

Are they going to stop making the JPE shape of carbon / perspex aeroscreen now that the interchangable item is on the cards? I noticed the new design extends further down the sides of the scuttle. Just a minor aesthetic point - unavoidable I know.

I'm not picking holes mind. Just curious.

Peardrop

Edited by - Peardrop on 8 Oct 2002 12:49:00

Thanks for your help everyone!

I think I'm going to have to do this - if it means the car will do 80 rather than 70 at 4000 rpm, and I'm no longer consigned to the slow lane.

Hoopy, if you're ever in High Barnet, I'd love to see what they're like. Worth a bottle of red?

I guess it also means getting a tonneau cover.....this may require re-negotiation with The Management....(less than impressed at my recent Ratrace bill....)

Hi,

When I did my Brooklands screens I found it was cheaper to source the screens from Kemble Engineering (0180 3835757). I think I paid £46 each instead of the £60 odd in DT, etc. I then got the stantion from Caterham for £105 and some retro-style mirrors from Europaspares.com. I think I paid £230 inc. VAT all up in the end instead of the £250 ex VAT of DT's

You can click on my name to find some pictures of my car with the Brooklands fitted... I have added two mirrors since then...

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Julian

Whether you change the screen to an aero or not, it won't give you more speed for the same engine revs. To change that, you're changing the gearing of the car. What you are not going to have though is a chunk of the power of the engine being used to push the weight and, more importantly, the area of the windscreen through the air.

In basic terms, this means the car is going to be able to continue accelerating better, probably have a higher top end in that it won't run out of steam and as an aside, it'll use less fuel at the same speed.