Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Painting carbon fibre

Tyrone

There are plenty of threads for removing paint from carbon fibre, but I couldn't find any for painting it.

My RiF cycle wings suffer from the horrible milky pattern staining caused by water, so I am going to paint them black. How do I prepapre the wings for paint, which primer, etc.?

• Area Representative

Have you tried wiping the carbon with 3 in 1 oil or WD40. just a little on a clothe goes a long way. It brings my carbon up nice and black with a good lustre.

Nick

Stop!

Assuming you like the carbon weave appearance, try cutting them back hard with T-cut metallic. (slightly less agressive than normal)

Then polish with AutoGlym Super Resin Polish (less abrasive again)

Finally, try protecting with 303 Aerospace Protector. Can be bought on Ebay.

I have been using this since I posted on this thread --> here. Designed to UV protect aircraft finishes and nylon microlight wing fabric.

Each time I wash the car, I dry and spray on/wipe off a fresh dose. Product goes on very smoothly. Almost no shine up required, it seems to self shine when wiped on. Deffo leaves a coating on the surface.

So far, water spots have not caused further white staining. The only reason I have not yet updated on that other thread is that I don't feel I've given it enough "field trial" yet to offer a recommendation.

I would hold off painting just now. I'm sure T-cutting and then treating with the right protective product can stop this problem.

Cheers

Peter

• 2 months later...

Tyrone, why on earth don't you just get them sprayed with a good clear lacquer? Something like DuPont 2-pack high solids clear. This should get rid of the staining and permanently seal them, giving a really glass-like easy-clean surface and enhancing the appearance enormously. You should give the surface a good clean with petrol, or pre-paint degreaser first, specially if you have ever used silicone based stuff on them, or wax.

I have never understood why the manufacturers don't do this as a matter of course, particularly as these things are largely cosmetic, if we are being strictly honest.

Edited by - Unclefester on 16 Jan 2012 13:19:20

• Leadership Team

Would be interested to hear of anyone who has successfully done this on "old" CF.

I spoke to TSK about lacquering my front wings a couple of months ago, but the feedback was that although it would look great for a while, because it is difficult to get an adequate key onto the existing material, in time the laquer would start to peel.

Michael.

I got some rubbing compound from Carbon mods .

Lots of careful hand polishing brought back the appearance , i then got it ( nose cone in this instance ) laquered . No problems , keeps shiney and hasnt peeled ( yet ! )

Cost less than £5 for the compound and £40 to get the nose cone laquered .

Quoting Mcalvert: 
Would be interested to hear of anyone who has successfully done this on "old" CF.

I spoke to TSK about lacquering my front wings a couple of months ago, but the feedback was that although it would look great for a while, because it is difficult to get an adequate key onto the existing material, in time the laquer would start to peel.

Michael.

So you use an etch primer under the varnish....this is also used on aluminium to key the surface, as it's acidic it removes the micron thick layer of aluminium oxide. I haven't ever tried this on carbon fibre, it'd be sensible to check or experiment with a broken bit of CF to see what effect the "wash" etch solution has. It might promote some nasty reaction with the CF.

I think a safer bet is the "adhesion enhancer" coat often used on plastics.This is not unlike a fine spray glue coat. I would think personally that a good light sanding with 600 grit wet'n'dry would allow a GOOD 2 pack clear coat to adhere perfectly well. Some clearcoat is rubbish.

In any case it wouldn't look any worse than the horrible mess CF becomes when the water gets to it.

I have a knackered CF wing here I can try this on.

I think painting CF is an admission of defeat.....adding weight to cosmetically change something which you've paid a lot of money for which is supposed to be cosmetically interesting in its own right..... *confused*

Better add clearcoat, which is, after all, just clear paint without pigmentation, and at least keep the cosmetic aspect of the CF at its best. Personally i think it looks far better under gloss but then I'm a pleb. *wink*

Edited by - Unclefester on 18 Jan 2012 18:38:03