Click here if you are having website access problems ×

It hurts so much I cant drive my 7!

Lali

Are you sure the diagnosis is right. I spent about a year in agony once whilst they tried to sort out what was wrong with my back. Doc said it all sounded like Sciatica but nothing he did worked. Went to a sports clinic in Stafford and they put it down to the muscles in my legs being to tight and pulling on my back. It was a similar injury to Micheal Owen and can be common amongst sprinters, I found this odd as I was not really built for speed.

Anyway I now stretch as much as possible and if I forget I can feel my back start to ache. I then stretch it out and it goes away fantastic *thumbup*

Nic

Strangely enough I seem to get a pain in my left buttock whenever I've been for a blat - could be something to do with my tin-top being automatic and my left leg not being used to doing anything

I expect eating twelve bananas a day could result in quite a lot of physical exercise (short dashes esp) or is it just me that has this experience with too many bananas *wink* *cool* *wink* *cool*

SV 52 CAT - the Mole is flying

Start with the usual symptomatic relief. ASSUMING NO CONTRA-INDICATIONS, regular paracetamol 1g 4 times a day, also regular use of something like brufen or voltarol - don't exceed the max daily dose. If that fails you'll need to add in something codeine based like co-codamol (contains paracetamol!). The vast majority of cases settle eventually. Surgery is intended to relieve pressure on a nerve trapped by a slipped intervertebral disc - something that is often not present.

Good thought Andy, but since buying the se7en my wallet is so empty it couldn't possibly be this 😳.

I just look at it as no gain without pain - the gain is the se7en, the pain is in the left buttock and the wallet. 😬

Sorry chaps - this really isn't a discussion for Techtalk - should be on Chitchat but I just couldn't resist

SV 52 CAT - the Mole is flying

Sorry for the delay in responding.

From the horses mouth (not that I am calling the wife a horse you understand)....appologies if you know this,or it conratadicts others, I am just repeating what the professional said !

Sciatica is just a term for "pain in the leg"...there is no disease to be cured. There is nothing wrong with the leg, it is referred pain from the base of the spine (I have elbow pain which is caused by my neck *confused*).

Something is causing pressure at the base of your spine on the nerve that goes down you leg. This needs to be released and the nerve needs to be "stretched" to get it working again.

The answer is to go to a CHARTERED physiotherapist. This is doubly important if you have pins and needles, numbness, or a floppy foot. That means there is serious damage. However if not there are a couple of things you can do in the mean time if there is just pain.

Lie on you back with you knees raised and together. If the pain is in your LEFT leg, place a couple of cushions or pillows by your RIGHT side. Now, with your back flat, let your knees drop to the RIGHT side onto the pillows. Don't stretch too much.

Lie on you back again, Knees bent and together. Put your hands behind your knees and try to raise your feet to the ceiling.

Vice-versa for RIGHT leg pain of course.

Both of these should help stretch the leg nerve, and give some relief. But you really need to find out what is causing the problem, hence the Physio.

Hope that helps.

SWMBO is suffering these symptoms at the moment, and has been under a chartered sports physio. It apparently all stems from some injury to her lower spine, where the bones have fused on one side. Intense sessions of manipulation are proving useful, as well as detailed examination of her seating arrangements in the car. She has been instructed not to drive for longer than 20 minutes at a time, even though she has an automatic. She can be a passenger for longer periods as long as she takes appropriate precautions.

Progress so far suggests this is all on the right track.

So her experience confirms the advice above about using chartered physios. for diagnosis and help.