Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wind Deflectors

The Forester

Morning all

I'm thinking of getting wind defectors and half doors to repalce the standard side flap fittings. Does anyone have feedback on how these perform, do you get more turbulance? Also I seem to have two fixing studs missing (one on each side next to the windscreen stantion). Can these be replaced in situ

Cheers

You are right in that they work far better when angled out, but that bracket idea is a lot of hard work, why not just heat up the lower curved section in boiling water and gently put more of a bend in it? It's worked a treat on mine.

Re: half doors, they are great, but hugely expensive for what they are, if you have a tonneau cover, which most people do, why not just clip it onto the fastners around the door opening, and fold it over at the top and fold it down the side of the seat, I've used a bit of thin plastic pipe wedged between the scuttle at the front and onto the hood stick at the back to fold it over and keep it neat. I do have a wider car mind, and I've got 2"-3" at the side of the seat 😬

Paul

IMO I would stick with the proper half doors, the elbow room makes all the difference *wink*

*wink* *wink*

the problem with the wind deflectors was you couldn't run mirrors as well, the way I overcome this was to use nifty's mirror mounts and modify the brackets so you can add the deflectors onto the long pin fitting, see here & here

and as I am taking 6speeds advice they are up for sale together with the blackpack windscreen stanchions 😬 😬 😬

blatmail me if you are interested

Cheers

Pete

Quoting Paul Jacobs: 
You are right in that they work far better when angled out, but that bracket idea is a lot of hard work, why not just heat up the lower curved section in boiling water and gently put more of a bend in it? It's worked a treat on mine.

+1 *thumbup* Works really well for me.

I agree Pete, the half doors are better, but whilst saving up, or waiting for Christmas, the tonneau option does work quite well, not perfect, but it uses what is already on the car. By the way, I've gone for what I call the half aeroscreen option [a bit like a screen version of the half hood] where I've lopped 3" off the top of the screen, and removed the top frame, still get protection from road debris, but lose the turbulence, you also have to lose the weather equipment of course.

As far as mirrors are concerned, CC supplied some mirror mounts that fit onto the stanchions and use the existing sidescreen mirrors, for SVA I believe, anyway they work a treat with the wind deflectors too.

Paul

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 29 Oct 2011 15:04:00

• Area Representative

Couldn't get enough heat into the ones I did using a pan of boiling water so I used a hot air stripper and that speeded things up a bit - about 10x so go easy!

Also if you want to see how far out they need to be, drive along with the unmodified ones and then push they into the air stream as you go along. You will see they are quite far out and not too dissimilar to those on Cobra's to be effective *eek* 😬