Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What roll bar?

Chris Wells

Hello knowledgable roll bar people. *wavey*

I hsve a 2003 Roadsport and and thinking of fitting a FIA rollbar (trackday use) *smile*

I have approached Caged who can make really whatever I want. So my question is what should I go for? Single or diagonal cross bracing? Standard or sloping?

I rather like the later sloping style with double diagonals. Will this cause me any problems? Such as rear visability.

The car has a standard floor, screen and leather seats. I'm about 5'10".

Any thoughts? *wavey*

Edited by - chris wells on 27 Oct 2011 22:38:17

Double diagonals are fine but consider first what you want from the change. Racing, road, aeroscreen, full screen?

The double diagonal tend to obscure the SPA type centre mirror unless mounted quite high which can cause it to vibrate and a very low mirror does not always fit aeroscreens (RiF for example) unless fettled.

My experience is limited to road use only. *thumbup*

I’m a midget by the way. 😬

Edited by - Phil G on 27 Oct 2011 21:52:19

Edited by - Phil G on 28 Oct 2011 16:18:21

I went the caged route as the standard 'tall' roll over bar was not tall enough for me. I did some measurements, sent them off to Caged, and on their next trip to Dartford, dropped it off (free delivery *thumbup*). I bolted it to the car, and it looked... erm, wrong. It sloped so far forward it hit my head, and it was 2" higher that I'd asked for.

I got in touch, and we spoke about the slope issue - and they built me a new one that was completely upright, giving me the clearance I need above and behind my head.

Caged also supplied fixings and a petty strut in the price, which was jolly decent, and means that should I want to start sprinting, I'm all sorted. No quibbles with the error, no fuss, just excellent service and very friendly too. Can't recommend them highly enough.