Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Squeaky Brakes

Adrian Lott

I had the same problem which I solved by applying a coat of a special gel ( looks like silicon grease)given by a friend at the back of each pad. I was not able to find it in France though, and cannot remember the name. It worked and still does.

In the US I found last week a product that looks like a kind a polymer ( acrylic or something like that). Instructions for use say that you must wait about 30 mn for drying before replacing the pads in place. I have not still tested this one.If you are interested I can give you the name of the product. It seems that it works as a kind of damper and absorbs the small vibrations which are the cause of this irritating noise. Not very sexy really when you place a superb "heel & toes" braking and shifting gears at the intersection of two busy streets...

Pierre

The noise can normally be eliminated by removing said pads, cleaning area well, and applying a thin 'skim' of Copper-slip grease to the back of the anti-squeal shims. Needless to say don't get this grease on the pads!!! Surgical spirit is a great cleaner for the parts as it evaporates and doesn't leave a residue.

Not wanting to get into a 'this pad's better than that pad' war, but I have found that std pads (Mintex 1144s I think) are ok for the road, but a bit soft when thrashed, uprated pads (Mintex 1155's) are great for the track, a bit pants until warmed up though so not great for the road, and they squeal like a pig, EBC Red Stuff great for road and track, no squeal and great feel. Haven't tried Green Stuff pads. Don't know if the EBS pads warp/wear your discs I haven't had them in long enough.

Davebo

C7 CAR

Regarding disc wear I can say the following regarding the mintex pads (relates to a car with AP 4 pots front and 2 pots on the rear.

Mintex 1155 front and 1144 rear is OK for road and slower track use. (ie cars not exceeding 120mph. I uese 1166's i the front and 1155's in the rear - thisn is a good setup but takes a few stops to warm up on the road. Seems the mintex pads don't eat discs (AP big brake type) at all!!! Ive done about 12K on my discs with no wear except from the time I hurriedly put a front pad in the wrong way round after an emergency upright replacement.....

1144's in the front (and in the rear on a quick Seven) will break up in time. 1155's at the front dont seem to wear very quickly either!

AW

I can confirm Arnie's opinions on the Mintex pads with 4 pot fronts and 2 pot rears.

I have had Mintex 1144 pads crumble and wear out at the back in very little time at all. The rear calipers get far too hot.

I have had the same set of 1155s in the front for over two years. They don't wear. They don't wear the uprated disks. With a bit of heat in them they have fantastic stopping power. I went to 1155s at the rear as well and really noticed that the first brake application on the road wasn't doing much, but they don't go off at the end of a long session on track.

Ideally, the rear brakes need some ducting or a vented disk.