Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Storage

stutch

It is more important that you do the right things before storing it.

Before storage, change the oil and remove the plugs and squirt WD40 into the cylinders to prevent the rings from binding to the cylinder walls. etc. etc.

This is less damaging than restarts without running anywhere, which put a lot of acidic condensates into the oil.

I would recommend 40psi in the tyres to prevent them going 'square' at the bottom. Be very carefull driving if you have to on this pressure, I guarantee you will be all over the road.

Remember to reset the pressures before going for your first springtime blat.

Tom

WD40 *is* a lubricant. It is definitely not a degreaser. WD stands for water displacement and it was the 40th attempt at a formulation. A spray lube that gels might stay in place a bit better. Should have mentioned that a squirt of this stuff followed by turning engine over by hand spreads it about nicely.

not sure of this but prehaps bike chain spray ie spray grease might be good if the car is to be stored for a long time. Having said that i've no idea what the engine would make of it when its re-started. Its what I use to stop condesation/corrosion problems with my lathe/milling machine etc