Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Supersport upgrade (throttle bodies)

SJL

Does anybody know when or if Caterham plan to provide an upgrade path from the 1.6K 135 bhp supersport EU3 engine to throttle bodies ? I have heard rumblings of this in the past. I guess it would comprise of throttle bodies and ECU. I'm keen to stick to Caterham parts rather than go it alone for the obvious reasons.

While we are about it I have started to notice that the car understeers slightly when tackling RAB's at high speed - would a stiffer front anti roll bar cure this ? and if so which colour should I go for ? Also my car doesn't have a rear ARB - is this worth getting at the same time ? (its an 02 1.6K roadsport with 135 bhp upgrade)

The Supersport on throttle bodies thing seems to be in perpetual development. Considering that the R300s are going to be turning over to VVC engines it doesn't seem that caterham have this as a high priority.

The concept however is good.

Your handling is not just about bolt on bits, but also about setup. It is likely that a bigger front ARB will improve matters, but a full review of setup is probably a good idea at some point.

I am no expert to car set up and handling but not sure if a stiffer front end would potentially generate more or less understeer if fitted within isolation of anything else

sounds like something else might be wrong if it is only on RHB's maybe tyre pressure in one of the tyres is different to the other, tracking maybe the wheel has takena knock and is not pointing in the same direction etc or some other mechanical problem

flat flooring and or corner weighting may fix it

rob

Edited by - robmar on 7 Oct 2002 15:25:21

Edited by - robmar on 7 Oct 2002 15:26:02

Peter, is this true. This causing me some confusion. I shall be purchasing an engine next month and I was considering the VVC option. My preferences though are leaning towards buying a stock 1.8 from Caterham and then sending it to DVA for the necessary. Although my initial preference was a VVC the general consensus was to go for the standard 1.8. The VHPD is beyond my budget. Why then are Caterham considering putting the VVC as standard spec in the R300? My budget is 8K and there is very little difference in the price of a standard 1.8 and a VVC. This response is about as confusing as I am at the moment.

Caterham needed a 160bhp engine to put in the R300. They fitted the roller barrel throttle bodies to the standard engine (I think with a set of Supersport cams) and run it on the MBE ECU. Their longer term X-Power strategy is to fit the MG-F Trophy 160bhp VVC engine (not the same as the VVCs have been up until now).

Caterham's development car did the Targa-Liege in this guise.

FWIW, I think a roller barreled r300 will be a better drive and more reliable unit than the VVC in standard guise.

I should qualify that. I didn't think a VVC from Caterham came at a good price. The VVC install from Caterham places the engine lower in the chassis, with ground clearance problems and difficulties in installing dry sumps and other goodies. The VVC in standard form needs a very good oil supply to avoid troubles, which makes it vulnerable in a Seven when fitted with a shallow sump and sticky tyres. A standard engine will be easier to resell.

A standard engine from Caterham, with the secondhand VVC that Nig is hawking would give you a second engine on which to base your DVA project with none of the above worries and for less money than getting a VVC engine from Caterham. Two engines for the price of one!

FWIW, 8k should buy you an all steel race engine.

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 7 Oct 2002 16:01:03

Also on the understeer, I've just fitted a thicker (5/8"?) front arb to my standard 1.6k supersport. In standard trim I found it quite neutral on the road, and neutral to oversteery on the track, but with lots of body roll. With the new arb, on the road it feels slightly more reluctant to turn in & on the track it understeered relentlessy. I found it very difficult to get it to oversteer.

On the plus side the handing is very predictable and it's cut the body roll,which I hated. Now that I've driven it for a while I think I'll switch back to the thinner bar and see which I prefer.

I think it's worth doing for £50ish just to feel the difference & there'll be plently of takers if you want to sell it on.

Andrew

Thanks for all the replies - I think I am going to go for a rear ARB (on the basis that its cheap anyway) and a thicker front ARB and experiement - I like the idea of being able to reduce the roll without significantly stiffening the suspension which would probably make road driving too harsh. A good article on how to fiddle with roll bars would be useful here !

Regards the engine upgrades sounds like its a case of wait and see ... which is a pity because I think this upgrade is one that would probably be quite popular.