Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headlights have packed up

rob spencer

• Support Team

I switched the lights on today and all the sidelights came on but the headlights wouldn't work *cry*. neither dip beam nor full beam... But the headlamp flasher worked ok *confused* *confused*. I checked the dip beam fuse and it was ok. They were working a few weeks ago when I last used them and I haven't knowingly done anything that would affect them.

Any ideas??

Rob

Headlight switch ? they are known to be prone to failure.

dependent on the age of your 7 these could be either wired direct or through a relay.

On mine the headlights are wired direct through the switch and when it failed I found that it was identical to the fan switch on mine, which I used to diagnose & as a temporary replacement.

• Support Team

Thanks Chris and Giles

I think I need to check out the switches and connectors.

Its a 2002 car Chris so not sure if they came with relays or not. I'll have a look at the wiring diagram in a build manual from 2001... although it may just confuse me *confused*

Rob

Hi Rob,

This came up a few weeks back for someone else, and I had the same in August.

After changing switches and fuses on mine it turned out to be the Relay. On my 2006 car they are located next to the fuses and I just swapped two of the three round which proved it to be the Relay. Very quick and easy to do. £7, in halfords, later it took 2 mins to fit.

HTH

PeteSV

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
I don't know much about this, but do the switch and the flasher switch use the same relay?

If that's right and one's working but not another does it imply a bad connection upstream of/ into the relay, rather than a fault in the relay?

Jonathan

Yes, they do. My money's on the h/l switch too.

JV

• Support Team

Thanks for all the help guys *thumbup*.

I've just been into the garage and checked the hi/lo switch for power (with the headlight switch on *idea* I should add 😬) and there was none. So I checked the relays (I didn't know they were under the fuse cover) and one was hanging at a very funny angle. I pushed it back in, and one of the others needed pushing back in too. Hey presto, headlights *smile* *smile*

Thanks again all 😶‍🌫️ 😶‍🌫️

Rob

"There be three things which are too wonderful for me, yea, four which I know not:

The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid."

I've always wondered why car electrics weren't included.

Jonathan