Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

driveshaft gaiters

DonkeyDave

ok my Dads given me his car to sort out for the next track day, looked fine apart from no rear tyreage

however - the rear driveshaft gaiters have split both at the hub and the diff end - leaking gear oil everywhere

so armed with a 41mm socket and a large bar to remove the hub are there any cunning tips before I start attacking it

I have noticed that one of them has a left hand thread....

is it a case of hub nut off - remove hub from dedion - remove driveshaft re fit gaitres and reassemble?

Are beefy tie wraps ok to use on the gaiters or do I need to find some metal ones?

Sounds about right. 200lbft from memory when doing them up.

I have re-used the nuts and used threadlock in the past.

There is a company that makes gaitors that can be put on with out removing anything.

Not used them... You sort of seal / zip them up...

I can find out the website addr if needed.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

I started with shafts that were much like the standard units, but changed to the new design because of the frequent gaiter failures, the new ones fail in a different way so it was a pretty pointless exercise.

The one I replaced myself was the older design.

Steve,

Please could you post the web address of the company who manufacture these gaiters. Has anyone had any experience of them, and if so what are they like. I will take the my driveshaft off if I really have to, but would prefer not to if there is an easier alternative.

Thanks