Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero flush filler caps

KayTee

Hello !

I am about to finalize an order with ThinkAuto, so need some info rather quickly.

I'd like to have one of those sexy filler caps.

Which size is the one to go for on a Caterham/Lotus 7 ? (space restrictions re. the curved rear panel, my car's rear is still hole-less)

Which diametre is the std. petrol hose running down to the tank ?

How on earth do I vent the tank properly ? (T-A catalogue says their caps aren't vented, and my carb-car tank only has one petrol line fitting)

THANKS & regards ! - Karsten

Hiya K.

I ordered mine when I bought V7, but I understand Caterham will no longer supply them. It mounts on the flat of the panel though, so what type mounts on the curvature I don't know.

I know nothing about filler diameters, sorry.

I also cannot give much info about breathers. V7 is injected, so maintains a pressurised tank. There is a pipe leading from the filler somewhere though, but this may be an overflow rather than a breather.

Not much help am I? *thumbdown*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Hi Karsten,

The one I have, which has the Caterham logo on it, is a large 4" one - which I think refers to the PCD of the bolts. This is probably a little big, but second hand it was a bargain (Ammo *thumbup*) and I like the look. A normal one is about 3" I think.

I am not sure on the hose size though. Maybe a call to Caterham might help out on what size the fitting on the tank is? You'll then need a funnel to suit this (so it is the same at both ends of the pipe IYSWIM)

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Edited by - philwaters on 7 Oct 2002 12:43:01

Also,

Mine has had a small hole (1-2mm) drilled in itjust above the latch bit that allows air to get back into the tank as you use it all up in the carbs *smile*

Phil Waters

Still learning to type it seems!

Edited by - philwaters on 7 Oct 2002 13:10:27

Excellent reply, Nig 😬

I am of course fitting it to the flat rear part, but towards the right, and fear that too large a filler cap (the 4" ones look MASSIVE!) might end up in the curvy part.

Hi, Phil !

ThinkAuto offer them in 4" (12 x 4,75" pcd), 3" (12 x 4,75" pcd), 3" (8 x 4" pcd), 2"(6 x 3" pcd); 1,75" (6 x 2,5" pcd).

Some have to be used with extra funnels, some come with funnels, these are available for 3,5" (4" cap only), 2" and 2.25" hoses, the 1.75" caps are available with funnels for 1,75" hoses.

I think I'll give the peps at Caterham a ring, at least about the filler hose diametre.

So, how to vent and which size to fit ?

Cheers ! - Karsten

My 4" one comes pretty close to the start of the curve, but mine just misses it with 1/2" to spare... I would go for a 3" with least bolt fixing (less holes to drill and less weight). The pipe size you need from Caterham... I think it is 2" - but I am not sure enough to say buy that....

Having said that and re-read your post.... Doh... I think mine has a 3" cap and a 4" PCD and 12 bolts.... hope that helps.

Are you getting lockable or not? Have you asked which they are?

As I say above, mine is vented by means of a small 1-2mm hole drilled in the middle of the cap through to the inside... works fine and a friend did this to his himself.

Phil Waters

Edited by - philwaters on 7 Oct 2002 13:17:02

See, told you I'm not much help. Seems pressurised as I get a hiss when opening the filler just after switching off. Could be a vacuum though. Whatever it is, a breather's probably a good idea to avoid the condition Peter describes. *wink*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Phil:

Yes, I intend to get a lockable one. Sugar cubes and interesting cars spring to mind.

Will the hole-drilling-procedure work on these ?

Caterham parts told me they didn't know the hose diametre. He reconed 2.25", but wasn't sure. He said that carbs and efi cars had different ones.

So, could it be that the filler hoses are 2.25" ?

Cheers ! - Karsten

The drilling should work fine, just check that you can make a clear hole without hitting the locking part.

I'm sorry, but I can't say with any certainly what size the pipe needs to be.... Can you wait and measure it tonight? That is the safest bet!

Phil Waters

If it's for a K series injection tank, have a think about how you're going to mate it to the Rover filler/breather neck. I gave up in the end and fitted one of Caterham's aero style caps that mates directly to the Rover filler neck. Much easier, nearly as pretty and MUCH faster filling.

For a Carb tank, it should be a much simpler affair (should have read your posting!). Caterham can supply the appropriate 90 deg pipe our your current one should fit easily.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 7 Oct 2002 16:22:44