Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Droopy side mirror

AndrewD

The drivers side mirror on my SLR has started to droop - when you try and move it back to its original position so you can get a good rearwards view of your rear wheel arch, it profusely refuses and drops down again.

It is the type that's mounted onto the side of the bodywork, just under the aeroscreen. On taking it off yesterday it seems the ball on which the mirror rotates has some thin metal pieces pressed against it to make it "stiff", which seems like a naff arrangement to me.

Any clues or do I need to go to the huge expense of buying a new mirror mounting?

Thanks

Andrew

Yellow SLR T777XXX

...and if you drill an additional hole in the scuttle you'll be able to tighten up the allen bolt from inside the cockpit instead of having to take the mirrir off.

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud 😬 ...well it only sounds fast officer 😳

Brooklands aeroscreens for those........flies in the teeth moments *eek*

Hmm. I've got an extra hole drilled in the body between the two screws which hold the whole assembly onto the car. However, this hole appears to give access to a small shaft with no bolt in it. In fact, it is a smooth hexagonal cross section shaft with the aforementioned flimsy metal "bits" at the end which push against the bottom hinge of the mirror assembly. There don't appear to be any screw threads in sight. Unless whatever screw was there was threading through the metal of the bodywork?

Andrew