Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Race at Spa next year, anybody interested?

MartinP

Can anybody help me with contact details please? I'm looking to get in touch with the various different Caterham race series organisers to see if they may have an interest in joining in a great event at Spa next year. I'm not long back from the inaugural 'Race at Spa' a couple of weeks ago http://www.race-at-spa.com/ and http://www.race-rally.be/ ; a part of the Racing Festival meeting. The event was organised by the TVR Tuscan race series organiser and is a fantastic opportunity to race on what is arguably one of the best tracks around. The entry requirements this year were simply a race national A licence and preferably a car that has passed UK scrutineering in the current year. Eligible cars were as many and varied as you wish. There were various classes put together from the entry list once the cars were known, giving something else to race for apart from the outright win. What stood out painfully however was that there were no Caterhams! The eventual turnout was a bit disappointing but the enthusiasm from everybody who went is huge, as is the desire to hold a similar event next year, hence this plea. I have volunteered to try and find the contact details of other race series that may be interested in joining in. The date of next years event is already fixed on 14th October so perhaps it may even be possible to arrange next years calendar for any of the different series that may wish to enter around this date or even make it a round of your series? I have various links to videos of this years event and the results are on the race-rally website if anybody wants to know more. Anyway, if there is any interest to get a number of entrants together to probably form your own class perhaps we can take this further if you would let me have contact details which I can then pass on to the organiser please. If you want any more detail or links to the videos and photographs of this years race let me know and I'll post something up. Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Area Representative
If it is any help my 'other' club needs 54 entries to make Spa pay for itself, which is a lot to find maybe but good luck with it. Another circuit we might be looking at in the future is one opening again near Brussels - not quite the same as Spa. If you have a passing glance towards Dijon I did it this year and it is absolutly brilliant - a terrifically fast and sweeping track. If you get the chance or it is more affordable take it, it is on par with Spa....

Not quite that far *smile*

Has new clutch and dry-sump now, engine mount on a sigma is also where the dry sump bolts on (titan Formula ford dry sump) so new backplate for the sump has had to be made).

Should be off for rolling road next week so will be interesting to see how it goes...

Many thanks for the replies guys.

The race this year was part of the last race weekend of the season which in itself was worth the effort to go and watch, helped no doubt by some fantastic weather.

The format was half an hour qualy on the Saturday and a 1 hour race on the Sunday (there was also a test day on the Friday if you wished to take advantage and trackdays on the Thursday before and the Monday and Tuesday after).

The race included a rolling start, as I think all races on the weekend were, and featured a compulsory minimum time pitstop. Both experiences that were new to me but which allowed for either a 1 driver or 2 driver format and also an extra dimension to the proceedings. That gives extra flexibility if you don't reckon you can survive an hour long race and would also like to share the costs between 2 of you - which is what I did. That formed part of my new strategy, I only enter races where I have the quickest car and can take a quick co-driver with me *wink*.

More details here from the race website and here of the race weekend.

Warning if you want to see the video from my car here cos it's not a Caterham but then again, I did start by saying that it was painfully noticeable that there were no Caterhams entered and the main purpose of this is to put that right *smile*.

Dave and John, Many thanks for your interest and if you would be so good as to blatmail me your contact details I'll pass them on to the organiser and no doubt he'll be in touch with you in due course.

Anybody able to help with contact details for the organisers of the various Caterham race series please?

It's very likely that the Grads will be back at the Racing Festival next year. We've done it several times in the past, though we missed 2010 and 2011 as we had alternate overseas rounds. We're looking at going back for 2012.

For the "official" Caterham series, Simon Lambert at Caterham is the best contact. Though I would guess that they probably have a pretty good idea by now where their overseas round is going to be next year.

Many thanks for the reply Roger, interesting stuff about the Grads maybe being there next year. There was some interest from the Elise guys who were racing at the same meeting this year about putting an entry in next year so maybe the same could apply to some of the Grads? If you've gone to the bother and expense of getting there, then another race to enter would make it more worthwhile, particularly if there's enough to make up their own class. Would you be the guy to put in touch with the race organiser or if not could you suggest who please?