Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Squeaky brakes

tiddy1

Can anyone tell me how to stop my front brakes squealing like pigs,

The are 4 pots with 1144 pads which I bedded in as per instructions but they only squeel on the last 10 feet braking i.e less than 5mph at all other times they are great but is rather imbarrasing

I have dynalite calipers and I have tried, cleaning them, copper slip, the selfadhesive pads supplied by mintex, swapping the pads round etc but to no avail, I dont know if you can get shims for dynalites

Any suggestions?

Simon

Can't help, but am very interested in this as mine do the same. I have Hi-Spec 4 pots up front and Green Stuff pads. Again, it is the last few meters of a braking zone when they squeal and anounce my arrival.

I have borrowed some Ferodo DS3000 pads to try out as my GS ones deffinitely seemed to be glazed when I last took them out. I cleaned them up, more copperslip and they worked fine... for about 5 minutes *mad*

Strange thing is that Steve Mell's brakes are identical and says his are perfect fine - am I just not using them hard enough?

Any one out there know what to try if the pads don't help?

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

What happened to the self-adhesive pads - did they just get eaten through by the piston? I find the copperslip just gets pushed out the way very quickly and is then useless.

I have got hold of some S/Steel sheet so if these pads don't fix it I am going to make up some anti-squeal plates to try...

oh, and back to the top *smile*

Phil Waters

HAving talked to rally designs where I bought the calipers they said that it is not the pad material but that mintex have started making al thier pads on the lose side, If i stop the pad rattle, i.e up an down it will stop the squeal.

thier suggestions were to fashion some copper, s/steel shims that wrap round the pads.or putting a line of weld on the pad metal plate to make them a tighter fit. This has the bonus of stopping the rattling as well.

also suggested putting a 1mm shamfer on the trailing edge of the pad

I'll let you know what works

Simon

That might be it I guess, my pads are a loose'ish fit, but they are no worse than a friends AP set-up or JW's Alcons.... and theirs don't squeal... If you do the wrap around thing then you will effectively be making an anti-squeal plate across the back anyway. Welding would have to be done every pad change = pain.

The DS3000 pads went in last night and a quick blat had no squealing. I don't think they are fully bedded in yet - so time will tell.

Phil Waters

My rears are the Live drums so I can't imagine they have worn out - do they ever? I am intending on checking them - but the fact that they didn't squeal at all last night would tend to indicate that the change of pads at the front has had an effect - so kind of eliminates the rears being the problem....

Will check though *smile*

Phil Waters

Hi Brent,

My discs are grooved (6 per side) but not drilled. I'm pretty convinced that it is pad/piston contact that is the problem... just need to find the time to knock up some plates and then try the G/stuff pads again to see if it cures...

The Ferodo DS3000 pads from Steve have already put a couple of slight grooves in my disc after only 15mins on a slow blat to wear them in - his are like that all over - but I am not keen on that. I don't care for the G/stuff but will at least give them a good enough time to see if they improve before swapping to some Mintex 1155's.

Phil Waters