Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Wing Protectors

Andy Checkley

Rob Morris put me onto this stuff. It's made by 3M and is used by the likes of porsche (to prevent stone chips on lower panels) and BMW (around door sills to prevent paint abrasion from footwear).

I've just ordered some more from my local Motor factor (3M Part No 08210). It's bloody expensive, 16 pounds for 2.5m @100mm wide. I've put it just above my carbon wing protectors to increase the area protected, where the harnesses can hit the outside of the cockpit and on the bonnet as described above. I also met a guy at the curboro' sprint this year who had used it to protect his lower wishbones. It's opaque to start with but a warm blast from a hair dryer soon has it nice and clear.

Not sure about the prop issue, but it is low tack and easily worked with. I would'nt say it is stong enough to be your only defence against chips on bodywork but it is ideal for those places where abrasion and wear & tear are a factor. i've only had it on for a few weeks, Rob's had it use for sometime and swears by it.

Helicopter Tape only seem to be available in 100mm wide rolls which isn't ideal.

Earlier this year someone posted the web address of a supplier of pre-cut sheet: http://www.armourfend.com

They have all sorts of panels for the Seven but it is quite expensive.

There is another company in Canada that sells an impact resistant sheet called Ricochet: http://www.supertint.com/ricochet.htm

Andy, do you have carbon fibre or fibreglass arches and cone? I don't think the fibreglass cone is very expensive, if unpainted, so Armourfend may be a bit OTT. I can see why you might want to do the arches - though mine are pretty good still after 25000 miles or so. The nosecone is near perfect.

Nick