Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Serious electrickery woes?

Terry Field

My wet cell battery died last week so I took the plunge and splashed out on a Powervamp Racing Battery, and then spent the weekend repositioning it in front of the scuttle for easy access, complete with new cables.

Took it to work today, 20 miles each way, and when I pulled into the drive tonight I noticed the dipped beam headlights weren't working. Checked the fuse, but that was OK, so I took the lid off and found that my shiny new battery was very hot and was bulging ominously *eek*

Ther were no other symptoms of anything wrong, and no ignition light coming on while I was driving, but I suspect the battery is done for.

Could it be overcharging from the alternator, and how would I know? If not, what else?

Terry

Terry

I would think it's most likely your battery was no good from new and the alternator could not get it up to voltage and cooked it. Either that or your alternator is not regulating properly. Given that you have just fitted the battery I would think that’s where the problem is likely to be.

Put another charged battery on, start the engine and you should see something like 13.9v to 14.4v if it's any higher then I would take a good look at the alternator.If it's reading about right then phone Powervamp and argue with them. I say argue because from my experience they are not the best at admitting there is a problem with one of their products when I had a PV25 go down from new.

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 10 Oct 2011 18:19:08

How's it going?

All that advice looks good to me, except that the previous battery had died and you have played with the wiring as well as changed the battery.

If it is overcharging do the voltage test with the good battery for as short as time as possible to avoid damaging that one.

Advice please: Now that regulators are built in to alternators are there any faults external to the alternator, including wiring faults, that can cause overcharging?

Jonathan

Check Voltage at battery with engine at about 3000 rpm if voltage much over 14.5 then regulator almost certainly stuffed, get alternator checked by decent auto electrician,

Jonathan , Don't think anything else could cause over charging, unless chassis goes negative of course which is pretty unlikely 😬

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 14 Oct 2011 18:25:12

Just been thinking again about that Jonathan, if it is the older type Alternator with a seperate battery Voltage sensing circuit, then if the sensing wire from Battery to 3rd connector on Alternator was open circuit or resistive then that could also cause overcharging.

Tim

Decided to have the alternator overhauled anyway as it is probably as old as the car (15years).

Curd Bros in Tunbridge Wells (01892 542680) seem to have done a good job - new bearings, new regulator and general tart up for £50. The only new cables I fitted were slightly longer battery cables, so no issues there.

Hope to get a new battery and all installed at the weekend. I'm still not sure why the dipped headlights both blew (without the fuse going) but again I hope to sort that at the weekend.

Terry