Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hot starting difficulty - K series engine

Englishmaninwales

Setup: An early 1400ss K induction plenum/ECU/stepper motor TB/loom fitted to 1800cc engine with uprated injectors. Engine ventilation is standard (with cold air to cam cover and cam cover to plenum), except for charcoal canister removed and feed to this blanked off. DS is ventilated to the catch tank from the DS tower.

Problem: Has run faultlessly for several years. Recently developed hot starting difficulty: It will only start (with great difficulty) and run properly if cranked with the throttle closed. If any throttle opening is used to make it start (easily) it will then only run very poorly appearing to be rich with loads of black exhaust smoke for several minutes until eventually settling down.

I have tried resetting the ECU, swapping the ECU and TPS. Checked vacuum connections to ECU. Checked the connections to other sensors.

Seems to me the ECU thinks the engine is cold at start up? Could this be a dead temp sender to ECU? What voltages should this sender show?

Had similar and it did appear to be the IACV. Cleaning seemed to cure the problem for a couple of months followed by the same problem recurring. Got a nearly new one from the 'for sale' section and that seemed to fix problem. Think there are a lot of 2nd hand IACV's about due to folk upgrading the induction etc.

Thanks, Roger. This early type doesn't have an IACV, but rather uses an integral stepper motor in the TB to directly drive the throttle spindle, thus controlling the opening and setting the idle. This can be checked by resetting the ECU and observing the stepper motor resetting the throttle at idle, and appears to be functioning normally.

Malcolm

Scroll down this page

'Green' NNK10001 Air Inlet temp sensor is listed as 1.95KΩ at 24°C

Just swapped mine along with a worn JZX2963 TPS.

The links through to the output graphs dont seem to be working (they were two weeks ago) but I may have them as archived jpgs at home.

If these German and Swiss sites are not been maintained may be prudent to liberate data while it's still accesible.

Cheers

David