Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Baulky gearbox

Nick Speed

I run a 1993 HPC Vauxhall on carbs. I find the gearchange obstructive on the 1st to 2nd change and 1st seems too low geared. Syncromesh seems fine, but is this causing the baulking?

What's the answer - change the box? What is the SPC semi-helical box like. Is it noisy like a straight cut, does the quality of the change improve and what are the ratios like? I am happy with the gearing in 5th and would not want to be lower geared than the 20/21 mph per 1000 revs I have at present.

All thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

1st gear in standard box is too low, I have higher ratio in my BGH semi-helical box but even so I still find with all that lovely Vx torque that I often pull away in 2nd. Box is noisy and does whine a bit but better than some.

On the baulking front, could be gearbox wear, anti-baulk rings?? part of synchro mech, not sure as not an expert, however before you assume gearbox if you have hydraulic clutch which I assume you will have, bleed the system and or change the fluid. I had all sorts of problems initially which I assumed were gear box related but turned out to be air in the clutch line. On cold mornings could not get 1st or 1st to 2nd or rev. Once the air had heated and expanded the situation improved.

If you are considering uprating gearbox, BGH do offer a choice of ratios for most of the gears, certainly 1st and 5th. The range availiable for 5th does not seem to be great and if you want longer legs for motorway cruising I think you need to look at changing diff ratio or back to 15" wheels.

Alan

Quaife straight cut with a 2.39:1 1st. If you have a 3.92 diff (which you probably do) this is the ideal ratio set for a VX with up to 8000 rpm.

You will also find the Caterham 6 speed is very good - the touring gearing is a little compromised with a 3,92 diff, but a 3.62 will sort that.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here