Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

XFlow. Oil on #1 spark plug

techbod

On removing the spark plugs for inspection I now find that cylinder number 1 plug is consistently 'wet' - it has a light sheen of what I'm fairly convinced is oil on it. It doesn't evaporate off, feels and smells like oil. If I don't use the car for a number of days and check the plug it always has some on it. None of the other cylinders have this issue.

Compression check gives #1:180 #2:175 #3:175 #4:180 ( oil in the bore for #1 may help increase the figure and hide an issue I suppose)

So what are my prime suspects? Valve stem seal, worn value guide or oil scraper ring? Anything else?

I've not noticed any puffs of smoke on gear change, but then again its hard to tell from inside the car. The engine is breathing a little more than it used to, I get a light haze from the bonnet vents at idle but it has done that for a while.

Engine was rebuilt 11,000 miles ago by SPR.

It could be oil or it may well be fuel. It can be difficult to tell. I had this issue on number 2 cylinder and worried about a possible engine problem. Resolved by servicing Webbers. I would start by checking and resetting the Webbers and then check the plugs after a good fast test run of about 10 miles.